Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

A new NIMH movie is gonna supposedly come out sometime!

edited March 2015 in Main

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/live-actioncg-rats-of-nimh-movie-in-the-works

MGM is making it along with Ice Age writer doing the screenplay!

Taken from the article:

The site adds that the film will be "an origin story in which an imperiled mouse protagonist befriends a comical crew of lab rats as they turn hyper-intelligent. They escape a secret laboratory and become the great minds of vermin civilization, forced to outwit the humans hot on their tails."

Maybe this will be the NIMH remake we always wanted! Or maybe it'll be a load of crap! Probably the latter because I'm just that cynical!

Also what makes me worried is the fact that it's going to be half CGI and half live action. So basically it will look like the characters are on a different plane of existence. I fail to see how this is going to end up attractive looking like the animated version.

What also makes me worried is this:

MGM's Senior VP Cassidy Lange will oversee the project, with Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger producing. Currently, the plan is to turn NIMH into a franchise.

That last sentence there kinda scares me. I guess the book sequels would make it somewhat plausible, but Hollywood's idea of franchising is what ruins it for me. Focus on making a complete story first and then make good sequels.

So I'm not really feeling it, but what are your thoughts? Is it going to be good or suck?

Comments

• Probably suck. ;P

• edited March 2015

Somehow, I feel that this will be a disaster. If anybody wants to write to MGM and say “we don’t want it!” here is their mailing address: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. 245 N. Beverly Drive Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Here is their email too: comments@mgm.com

Anybody on board with this idea of protest?

• ARAJediMaster said:

Somehow, I feel that this will be a disaster. If anybody wants to write to MGM and say “we don’t want it!” here is a link to their mailing address: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=31476/. Anybody on board with this idea of protest?

• ThePuppetMaster said:

ARAJediMaster said:

Somehow, I feel that this will be a disaster. If anybody wants to write to MGM and say “we don’t want it!” here is a link to their mailing address: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=31476/. Anybody on board with this idea of protest?

I just updated my comment.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.

245 N. Beverly Drive

Beverly Hills, CA 90210

• ARAJediMaster said:

ThePuppetMaster said:

ARAJediMaster said:

I just updated my comment.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.

245 N. Beverly Drive

Beverly Hills, CA 90210

• edited March 2015

First a new Rock Band, now a new NIMH. What a surprising day this turned out to be.

Wasn't something like this announced like five years ago?

• If Don Bluth isn't involved.....KILL IT. There's no way it will be good. ;_;

• ^^They pretty much share my thoughts. It's likely going to be a cookie cutter executive movie.

• Thanks for that link to the Doug Walker vidcast thing. That's about where I am with this as well. There's a remote chance it'll be good, but I'm not at all hopeful about it. Guess we'll wait and see.

ARAJediMaster, I think I'll save my letter-writing campaign for an issue that actually matters. As bad as this film may end up being, it can't somehow go back in time and ruin The Secret of NIMH for me. And hey, as always, there's the silver lining that perhaps this will generate interest in the originals, which is always a good thing for this little pocket of fandom.

• Here is what Jenner the Rat had to say about this after I had managed to mention it to him without him taking my head off with a sword... giggle

Jenner: The plan to remake Secret of NIMH is the apparition of idiots and dreamers. We already have had a really good Secret of NIMH film done by Don Bluth and the plan to remake it is nothing but folly, a doddering old fool's fantasy! Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger would have you destroy this Thorn Valley colony only to lead the Rats of NIMH to become a pathetic comical crew of lab rats in some wilderness!

I would wonder how well this comment would go in front of the Rat Council in Thorn Valley and how many Rat Council Members would agree for once.

• ErikMouse said:

Here is what Jenner the Rat had to say about this after I had managed to mention it to him without him taking my head off with a sword... giggle

Jenner: The plan to remake Secret of NIMH is the apparition of idiots and dreamers. We already have had a really good Secret of NIMH film done by Don Bluth and the plan to remake it is nothing but folly, a doddering old fool's fantasy! Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger would have you destroy this Thorn Valley colony only to lead the Rats of NIMH to become a pathetic comical crew of lab rats in some wilderness!

I would wonder how well this comment would go in front of the Rat Council in Thorn Valley and how many Rat Council Members would agree for once.

Well, Eric, I agree with you there. And you have my sympathies on the matter.

• edited April 2015

I haven't read about this until just a few days ago.

I honestly believe that Don Bluth's animated feature of The Secret of NIMH is a masterpiece that doesn't really need to be touched. I will admit that I wish there was a bit more storytelling for some of the scenes in the original, but there is only so much you can do with a $7 million budget and a brand new animation studio working on its first major motion picture. The fact that the film will be rebooted using a combination of live-action and computer animation, the same form in which the Fox Studios reboot of the Alvin and the Chipmunks series took, doesn't pique my interests. From other articles that I have found, MGM is also hoping to turn it into a franchise, which I currently have mixed to negative feelings about.

Chances are that Don Bluth wasn't contacted about this or asked for his input or consent, which happened with The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue, and we all know how much of a mess THAT turned out to be. In my personal opinion, if anything, the only thing in the series that could be 'remade' would be have to be The Secret of NIMH 2 and not the first film. Completely trash the horrible story of the sequel to start from scratch and get Don Bluth to do it the way he would have done it. Unfortunately, we all know that isn't going to happen, but it's nice to dream.

• I would be willing to give this film a look if indeed it ever comes out. However I do admit to harboring more than just a little cynicism as to whether or not this will be a quality film. The memory of SON2 is still fresh in my mind and those of you who might have seen my earlier posts regarding this film will be quite familiar with my feelings about it.

• I have the feeling this’ll be one I’ll end up judging from the trailers, rather like Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows reboot. That was one I was kinda looking forward to, but when I saw how Burton was giving it the camp treatment I switched gears rapidly, with the lukewarm reviews clinching it for me. With the NIMH reboot I’m sure I’ll be making a similar determination.

• We now got a sneak peak at one of the animators working hard on this new film. MGM only hires the best!

:P

• ...And here's a sneak peak at the animator showing off two new characters to the NIMH Universe!

:P

• I found a sneak peak at the animated short featured before the film of this new NIMH movie. We get a taste of animation and what the film is gonna be about.

• All of the above videos come from the same film: Freddy Got Fingered, which I've talked about here before. The film has to do with a want-to-be animator, so perhaps he would be the one directing/writing this new NIMH remake. That would be awesome.

In all seriousness, I haven't heard a thing about this remake since it got announced. It's probably in development hell. So we might as well speculate.

• edited October 2016

Has any body heard any more news regarding this remake? It has been over a year and nothing else has come up.

• I haven't heard anything and I suspect we won't. Just like in 2009 when it was supposed to be remade.

• edited October 2016

@Azathoth43 said: I haven't heard anything and I suspect we won't. Just like in 2009 when it was supposed to be remade.

Ah, now I remember that had happened once around that time now that you have mentioned it. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just another rumor that got blown out of proportion.