Leelah Alcorn #restinpower

edited January 2015 in Main

This is gonna be a short one...I think...depending on your standards.

Leelah Alcorn was teen transgender female who committed suicide due to abuse by her parents who forced her into conversion therapy along with all around denying her true gender. She wrote a note expressing that things have to change...

I'm not transgender, in fact I've only very recently in my life knew such a thing was even...a thing. It just goes to show how badly we are at educating sexuality. Even if you are against LGBT rights for some godforsaken reason, your child has the right to know that such things exist. I was never taught to respect, care, or even know what it means to be transgender. I had to figure that out on my own, and I'm still learning. While I can never know exactly what it feels like to be in such a predicament as being born in a body whose biological features don't match with how I feel on the inside, or having to be forced to be referred as a gender I don't feel a part of, I still feel an obligation to do something about it.

I was a part of a rally group in DC that demanded change in how we treat transgender individuals. It was quite fun, even if it was 20 degrees outside. Having support from other bystanders was also really cool. It just goes to show that as an individual there's not much you can do to help, it's when we join together that we see results.

As a bonus, here's a picture of me at the rally. I circled myself. The fat guy with the neck beard that you walk away from had something to say today, even if it was just chanting in cold low scruffy voice, I meant it.

Actually, I would post a picture of myself, but I don't know how using the forum software! So you'll just have to trust me. Here's a video, tho! You can see me walk by the camera at 26 seconds in the video.