some questions i have about senses of rats in NIHM universe

edited December 2014 in General Discussion

It is not obvious at first sight... but is really important, becouse this really determine how they would behave... their senses.... their sensoric abilites througth which they percieve world...

Sight

within origin kind is by one word „Reallybad“ visual acuity of rats is horrible compared by men... they are very miopic, see very blurly in equivalemt of 15 diopters.... so they sharply see object only on few centimetres / cca 2 inches color of sight is also bad... they see like protanopia disorter + very desaturated...

!(http://i.imgur.com/FrZNH0P.jpg)

at least they see color in ultraviolet part of spectrum here is what they see (left normal – human view, right rat view):

!(http://www.ratbehavior.org/images/WaterLily.jpg) !(http://www.ratbehavior.org/images/WaterLilyRedGreenCBblur.jpg)

Now what with that.... we will say that NIMH ones will have sight like - human? - Like human + UV color sense? - or like human, but protanopic + UV sense?

i guess we can agree that these nearsightedness. probably will be neutralized and they will have human sharpness of vision...

Visual look of eye is also point what i care... ordinery rodents have blackish brown „pearls“ Bluth's NIMH rats nad mices have human like eyes with white around colorful pupils... once what i chat with one etymolog white around pupils in humankind have mainly social effect, where it is important that showed where the body looks... (this is not odd in social kinds like mices and rats) but in nature white around pupil „glow“ in dark and can reveal position to predator...

Hearing

Here is will be more better.... human have hearable range from 20Hz to 20kHz (moreless) on cntare rats and mice hear frequencies from 200 Hz to 90 kHz... (ultrasound) so they hear moch more than human.... yep is hard to say what and how much hear that... becouse human never can listen it...

i read somewhere that ultrasounds are in wind, in sea breaker... in when you then rub fingers together...

but interesting is sligthly different element.... their speech... rats comunicate, what i know, relativy simply, in 3 frequencyes 20 kHz, 35kHz and 60 kHz, while many comunications are in 35 kHz... so we can say that avarage speech of NIMH rats will be in 35 kHz... so this mean that this rat can be straight ahead us and speak on us... but we hear nothing... dman can be whole rat Mettalica with full of fans behind us and we just hear his steps and dancing...

This is why i guess that rat cannot communicate with humans by voice... even if speak english...

probably if i reallize how i hear us (they will... we speak in highter frequency than 200Hz) they maybe hear us voice as very deeply... probably deeper than goa'uld :)... i just guess

Smell

Another good sense of rodents... is is same or better than dog's smell... is very important for rodent in searching of food, recognizing space etc.... but have also comunicative level... very important comunicative level... by odor ordinery rodents recognize self... in his odor is they social status, citizenship to mischief, and also some info about this mischief... they uses odor for marking space, paths , each other (mainly alfa ones marks their subordinates)...

How they mark by odor? At example rubbing his side on the object, or betterly, and it is likely to come to someone disgusting, by drop of urine... for they is mainly chemical message, than drain.

Question is what they will solve NIMH ones.... we assess a world visually... (flags, arm of coats, symbols etc) they probably will do too, if they will have better sight.... but chains of ancestors is very strong and smell will still play important role, also in communication... this is depent on point of wiev...

Touch

Probably they it have same sensitive like humans.... what i really mean is their whiskers...

Rats have whoskers more sensitive than human fingers... i suppose if u will have these whiskers u will can easyly read slightly embed text... whiskers are major tool to navigate in absolute dark area and also is sensitive on very hight frequency sound.... probably not in the sense of hearing, but feeling.... just feeling these vibrations

!(http://www.kurzweilai.net/images/Rat.jpg)

Time perception

although it does not seem at first glance, not every creature perceives time as fast as a human .... therefore this matter is already very abstract ... is your second as long as my second? presumably not .... it's more discreet when you other animal...

!(http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421531-1BDAEF25000005DC-815_634x464.jpg)

Although there are various studies, but the fact that they are somewhat inconclusive, but we can think about them... But is probable that smaller animals with faster metabolism percieve time faster than human.... so they see world in slow motion... and rats with mices will probably these case... i tryed search some specific info about it... but im not much succesfull...

however i guess they will percieve time cca 3 times slower than human, yes i cooking from water.... but i guess this can be cipher from which we can bounce... so one human hour is three rat/mouse hours (their day lasts 72 their hours) from their point of view homan will look slow and cumbersome... and if we add his very deep voice, what i speculated before.... humans really be like giants what we realize them :D Rats think faster, live faster, behave faster... by my assumption 3 times than human...

question is also in aging... we know that NIMH ones have more longer lifespan.... first ordinery rats; wild sewer ones can in captivity live cca 7 years... in the wild around one year.... laborattory ones live to 3 years in captivity... similiarly in mice... now how it be in NIMH ones... what we know they have longer life span.... but if we take into account 3 times faster time perception equivalent of 75 years old man... will be 25 years old rat... Although it is longer lifespan beside ordinery ones (cca 4 times)... but from point of human not mush... or what do you think?

Okey this is for now my thougths and question... i hope that u like it and you will be open for your some thoughts... :)

p.s. Really sorry for my english, i hope thats is enought understandable and will be least misunderstanding.

Comments