Horror film fans out there?

edited October 2014 in Main

Halloween is upon us and I'm curious if the two people who read this thread are interested in horror movies? Probably not, but I'm going to talk about it anyway....

I'm going to be honest, most horror movies are junk. They're stupid, vile, don't have much to say, and are naturally repulsive. There are smart horror movies out there, don't get me wrong, but if you were to go on Netflix Instant right now and watch the horror movies they display there, there's a good chance it's utter crap. I can watch these movies and have fun with them, but at best it's guilty pleasure entertainment, at worse it's downright sexist and offensive.

This is something fans of the genre have to come to grips with, and because a lot of horror is trashy, we have to watch and talk amongst ourselves which are the ones worth watching and which are just generic, stupid, offensive, boring, etc. I'm not going to watch a horror film everyday this month like some people are doing, but I am going to try and find the best ones.

One's I'm going to watch this week:

1. The Curse of Chucky
  2. Honeymoon
  3. Open Windows
  4. ABCs of Death 2

Ones within the last 3 years that I can recommend: 1. Oculus ...... Great haunted mirror movie that plays with your head in interesting ways. 2. V/H/S 2.....The better of the two anthology movies, with Safe Haven being the highlight 3. Maniac.....Elijah Wood's performance is pretty great and creepy, also makes good use of POV 4. You're Next!........My favorite on this list that mixes up the conventional home invasion movie sub-genre smartly

I'm going to be on the lookout for V/H/S Viral, The Green Inferno (if it ever comes out), The Babadook, and whatever comes out that tickles my fancy.

I can tell you to avoid Tusk at all costs...I honestly don't know why Kevin Smith does any sort of filmmaking outside of his Askewverse movies. Utter trash is what Tusk is.

Anyone else feeling sharing anything horror movie related? Favorites? What you want to see?

Comments

• Well, I might say that I like a few: Jaws and Alien for example. Beyond that, not much else. I am considering watching The Thing, but I’m not certain about that.

• The Holy Mountain is the only movie that really horrifies me. It's a unique kind of horror that only people who have watched it can understand.

• Swayti14 said:

The Holy Mountain is the only movie that really horrifies me. It's a unique kind of horror that only people who have watched it can understand.

Hehe, I've heard of this movie, but never seen it. Obviously not a horror movie in the traditional sense. It's probably more along the lines of "Brazil."

ARAJediMaster said:

Well, I might say that I like a few: Jaws and Alien for example. Beyond that, not much else. I am considering watching The Thing, but I’m not certain about that.

The Thing is another classic horror movie, highly recommended.

• I don't like horror films. Not because they're scary, but because of what you said. I know that horror films with good story lines exist though. I know most of the classics because they are mentioned so often in pop culture. I love Simpsons Treehouse of Horror which always parodies Halloween movies. Every year I like to watch Disney's Hocus Pocus, and this obscure Halloween cartoon called the Halloween Tree.

• I guess I'll bump this.

"The Babadook". See it. I don't care if you're not a horror fan. Independent films don't get better than this. It's damn near flawless. It's a slow burn for sure, but it damn well earns it.

"VHS Viral" is pretty abysmal. One segment involving a person finding his evil twin self was pretty good. Overall the VHS series is known for providing stupid fun, but I didn't get much fun this time around, got plenty of the stupid tho.

Still need to see Honeymoon, but I'm looking forward to it.

• Not a horror movie, but Furious 7 is probably the best mainstream film out right now. It's a damn fine tribute for late actor Paul Walker. Even if you're not invested in the series, it's definitely worth it just for the action sequences and the funny characters. Jason Statham also does a good villain role.

• I didn't really get the hype behind "It Follows". It's alright, but it's something that I much rather would've rented.

If you want somewhat of a twist on the old husband is a serial killer formula, then Stephen King's "A Good Marriage" is pretty good.

"The Babadook" is really the only recent horror movie to really get me excited for the future of this genre.

• Mad Max Fury Road....what a great movie. It takes the idea of a macho-man flick and manages to say a heartfelt message about our patriarchal society and how we can overcome it.

Ex Machina: Another great sci fi flick by first time director Alex Garland. It may hit on familiar notes, but it does it in its own unique flavor.