Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What if Mrs. Brisby was at NIMH with Jonathan?

edited October 2014 in Fan Fiction

Don’t you wonder what would happen if Mrs. Brisby was with her husband, Jonathan, at NIMH? How do you think their relationship would be like in this scenario? What would they do in their time with the Rats? Would they choose to stay with the rats or part ways with them once they were on their way to Thorn Valley? Would they still have the children we know and love? What if Mrs. Brisby had been there at the night Jonathan failed in his mission with Dragon? Would she be able to save him? Would Mrs. Brisby suspect treachery from Jenner before it actually happens?

A path that has never been taken before, never imagined, never explored. An infinite number of possibilities open for debate. What would happen?

Comments

• edited October 2014

I don't think they would even get to see each other. The males and females would be in separate cages. And in the books the rats could only communicate with the cage next to them. But they would probably develop a way to send messages back and forth between rats by repeating a phrase from rat to rat. I think that may have happened in the book.

I don't think even Ms. Frisby could save Johnathan from the cat. The mouse that goes up the hole always goes up alone. She could try to distract the cat by scurrying nearby it, or biting the cat's tail, but unless she went up with him I think she would be too late. Maybe she could shock the cat with electricity or turn the lights out or something. Unless they had another mouse go up as look up, she would be too late. And I still think they wouldn't want a women to do the mission of drugging the cat. She would feel added guilt that she couldn't do a thing to stop it, but at least she would know what happened.

I'm pretty sure the children wouldn't change.

I think Ms. Frisby has a strong resolve and would survive the lab and not give up. They would encourage each other when the situation felt hopeless.

They might feel left out by the rats, because they are the only three mice.

Would Johnathan also grab her and save her from the air vent?

She and Johnathan would collaborate. He would still help her read. And maybe she would discover she has a talent for inventing things.

Hey, where did Johnathan get the stone anyway?

• And I still think they wouldn't want a women to do the mission of drugging the cat.

I fail to see how the fact that she is a woman would somehow make her a lesser candidate for drugging the cat. Justin may have been against it initially in the movie, but she was able to do it and successfully too. Nicodemus also seemed grateful for the help.

• Well Justin might have tried to refuse to let her drug the cat because he was trying to be a gentleman with her, not because he thought she was too weak to do it. He did agree to it eventually.

It might have also been because she hadn't been through what Johnathan had been through so she wasn't one of them, or maybe they thought it would be unfair for her to risk her life when they were the ones trying to help her.

I also didn't see any female rats in the meeting scene where Justin was arguing with Jenner, but it also could have just been hard to tell their genders.

• Greta said:

Well Justin might have tried to refuse to let her drug the cat because he was trying to be a gentleman with her, not because he thought she was too weak to do it. He did agree to it eventually.

It might have also been because she hadn't been through what Johnathan had been through so she wasn't one of them, or maybe they thought it would be unfair for her to risk her life when they were the ones trying to help her.

I also didn't see any female rats in the meeting scene where Justin was arguing with Jenner, but it also could have just been hard to tell their genders.

Well, what about the rats that were working to move the house? Surely they couldn’t have been the same rats in the council meeting, and Nicodemus said that twenty rats were given the injections. Logically, then that means there must have been females in the colony, but were never shown onscreen.

So, how about this? What if Mrs. Brisby was Jonathan's mate when they were taken to NIMH. What would their relationship be like then?

• I apologize if my comments sounded sexist. I don't think much would change if they were already mates, other than you wouldn't have to write them falling in love. So it's up to you whether they are mates already or they come to love each other as more than friends during their escape. All the character models pulling the house look male. I'm sure there were female rats, and the animators were just too lazy to draw them. It's too difficult to tell the genders of the rats and mice in the lab scenes.

• Honestly, I don't think too much would change. Mrs. Brisby would know what had happened to Jonathon, and she and her family would possibly be living in the rose bush instead of that cinder block.

Assuming she survived the air vent, of course.

• KoopaKalamity said:

Honestly, I don't think too much would change. Mrs. Brisby would know what had happened to Jonathon, and she and her family would possibly be living in the rose bush instead of that cinder block.

I think that Mrs. Brisby would become a tougher mouse as a result of the experiments, so she would survive the vents with her husband. If you read the book, Jonathan and Mr. Ages moved out of the rosebush into their respective homes as they felt strange associating themselves alongside rats. Maybe with Mrs. Brisby and her husband working together to drug the cat, one to keep an eye out and the other to do the drugging. Who knows? Perhaps she could save Jonathan and help to speed up the Rats’ journey to Thorn Valley.

What do you think of that?

• ARAJediMaster said:

KoopaKalamity said:

Honestly, I don't think too much would change. Mrs. Brisby would know what had happened to Jonathon, and she and her family would possibly be living in the rose bush instead of that cinder block.

I think that Mrs. Brisby would become a tougher mouse as a result of the experiments, so she would survive the vents with her husband. If you read the book, Jonathan and Mr. Ages moved out of the rosebush into their respective homes as they felt strange associating themselves alongside rats. Maybe with Mrs. Brisby and her husband working together to drug the cat, one to keep an eye out and the other to do the drugging. Who knows? Perhaps she could save Jonathan and help to speed up the Rats’ journey to Thorn Valley.

What do you think of that?

Oh, I didn't know that. I'm only on Chapter 2 of the book.

I suppose there would be a possibility that she could have saved Jonathon. Though I'm not sure that he would want her to come along on a mission that dangerous...

I should probably finish the book. :|

• I've always thought he had a past life that involved another lover, possibly also kidnapped by NIMH, but died in the shafts or some experiment. This would explain why it would be harder for him to tell his wife his origins.

• ThePuppetMaster said:

I've always thought he had a past life that involved another lover, possibly also kidnapped by NIMH, but died in the shafts or some experiment. This would explain why it would be harder for him to tell his wife his origins.

Well, I don’t know about that. I’ve never seen Jonathan love somebody before meeting Mrs. Brisby. I read a fan-fiction about a similar scenario with Jonathan losing a loved one at NIMH, but I am more comfortable with Jonathan loving Mrs. Brisby more over anybody else, the same way I feel for Mrs. Brisby loving Jonathan over everybody else including Justin.