The Truth of NIMH 2

edited November 2014 in Fan Fiction

Imperial Intelligence Transmission 0198-TB

Date: 22:8:13

Encoded to Imperial Intelligence HQ

Imperial Army Intelligence Officer Maj. Rath Karrdac Transmitting

In our most recent efforts to recapture the escaped lab animals from the third planet’s medical and health research laboratory the “National Institute of Mental Health”, or NIMH for short, they have ultimately proven to be disastrous. Project: New Blood is still delayed, and the base commander, Colonel Khorrus, is considering to forgo all legalities in this country, the United States, in order to recover the test subjects, including—much to Dr. Schlutz’s dismay—to “let go” of certain employees and lab personnel due to the numerous “removals” of previous employees due our most recent incident with Dr. Valentine which I will elaborate on shortly.

According to what my superiors have informed me, Project New Blood was initiated before the Clone Wars in 13:01:08, three months before the Battle of Geonosis. What precisely the project’s intent eludes me; even the scientists at NIMH, and our own, knew nothing about it or its purpose. Rumors had it that the project involved the manipulation of midi-chlorians inside a lifeform. So far, previous efforts to manipulate these strange, microscopic lifeforms have proven to be unsuccessful; usually resulting in the death of the host subject or fates that are best not to be mentioned.

The purpose of the project was, again rumored, to create an army of Jedi from non-Force sensitive lifeforms or to enhance the Grand Army’s strength, endurance, and intelligence to untold capabilities. The validity of these claims, though, are most likely to be false.

However, based on the gathered research when introducing a specialized serum to midi-chlorian poor subjects such as the native creatures of this planet, like mice and rats, we have determined some rather unsettling results. The subjects had demonstrated feats that the control group could never achieve; heightened brain activity, near-perfect memory in the mazes, as well instant adaptation to its changes and rearrangements of the rewards, and seeming limited telekinesis as in the case of the medical and R2 maintenance droids on limited occasions. These results are frighteningly too similar to the abilities of the now-outlawed Jedi Knights, which leads us to our current dilemma.

Three years after initial testing on the subjects, examinations into their cellular structures revealed that they were not aging as fast as the animals in the control group were. Apparently, the injections must have slowed down the aging process or even halted it altogether. Whatever the case, we never foresaw what happened afterwards next.

Coincidentally, it all happened on the night Order 66 was issued. All the test subjects had escaped their enclosures and had not been seen anywhere in the facility. Although we had ascertained that the rats and mice had utilized the ventilation shafts to escape, there have been no signs of them anywhere even in the vents. The only real point of interest there was a damaged air fan; it appeared that something huge had been in the vents and crushed the fan with a rather huge hand, but this is unlikely.

For five long years up to this point, we have been searching for the lost subjects with no success. Even when we tracked them down to one location, they disappeared and had moved on to the next. This has happened three times—now four times—already: first at a resident’s home whist they were away, an unknown section of a forest, and just five to six months earlier at a small farm.

Recently, we had received word from the Emperor that he has finally uncovered the rats’ newest hiding place: a wild life sanctuary called Thorn Valley. In our haste and determination, we scouted out the location of “Thorn Valley” in Pennsylvania, and, much to the joy of Dr. Valentine, were the rats indeed. Apparently they had grown intelligent enough to construct human structures similar to an older style city on this world, only rat-sized.

We had thought the rats were foolish enough to believe that they were so safe from human contact that they built their new civilization without second thought of being discovered. It wasn’t until it was far too late did we realize it was all a trick.

As per standard Imperial operating procedure, we had constructed a base that would be isolated from spy satellites and anybody with half a mind to come snooping around. However, the sanity and competence of Dr. Valentine came into question, especially after tampering with one of our mind probes. The base wasn’t even completed until the deception had been uncovered. After capturing a mouse wearing human styled clothing, the analysis on the subject began. While the computers had correctly analyzed that the subject was a second-generation of the treatment group, something wasn’t quite right. It lacked the sufficient amount of midi-chlorians that it ought to have when passed on to the next generation.

Before the further data on what the mouse really was could be analyzed, Dr. Valentine and his scientists had fiddled with the probes on the mouse, and everything went to hell. What happened afterwards is rather unmentionable. Fortunately, Imperial reinforcements had arrived along with a Dark Jedi named Jerec, and after “aggressive negotiations” with Dr. Valentine restored all those affected the machines shortly before he swiftly executed the fool, along with several of his companions who went along with his schemes.

After extensive analysis of the data before the incident, we came to the conclusion that none of the intruding animals, or any of the rats in “Thorn Valley” were the subjects we were looking for. It was the genome sequence that tipped us off that the whole thing had been a setup. Faulty enzymes, proteins, and neurons had been uncovered in our studies; patterns that are consistent with Spaarti clones, specifically clones that have suffered from “Clone Madness” http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_madness. Someone must have gotten a hold of both Spaarti cloning cylinders http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Spaarti_cloning_cylinder and samples of most of the test subjects. I say “most” because the mice we had transferred to the base were not the subjects we had tested on eight years prior. They were apparently “actors”: just decoys to make us believe that we reacquired our objectives.

Currently, we have no idea about the whereabouts of the subjects’ current location. We are considering searching other “Thorn Valleys”, one in California and another in West Virginia. The one in Pennsylvania we can scratch off—that site has been bombed by one of our new TIE Bombers, one thermal detonator was all that was required. However, I have my doubts on whether or not the rats or mice will be in either location. Our orders from the Emperor have been to wait it out; why he would order that I cannot be certain. However, his instructions on capturing unusual animals bearing humanlike clothing, or demonstrating human level intelligence, were specific and explicitly insistent on the penalty of death, especially concerning the “interrogation” methods to be used on them.

End Transmission

Author’s Notes:

I have not, nor ever will, see the unforgivable sequel to The Secret of NIMH. However, this is only just a fan-theory on how it could have possibly been. This would be related to a trilogy that I am writing about the Rats of NIMH, what actually happened to them at NIMH, events that are elaborated on in the film, what actually happened after the film, and Jonathan’s true fate.

If anybody has any additional information I should include or note any discrepancies in this “report” with the disgrace of a sequel, let me know so that I can correct it.

Comments

• I like the format of making it start like a real science log. I like that you included the detail that something smashed the fan, indicating that the mice probably survived. It was an interesting concept to mix the experiments on the intelligence of the mice with experiments on the force. Ms. Frisby's amulet is sort of an unexplained power, kind of like the force. These experiments probably really would be tried on mice and rats before humans. I like that the rats somehow tricked the humans by putting out false leads.

• Greta said:

I like the format of making it start like a real science log. I like that you included the detail that something smashed the fan, indicating that the mice probably survived. It was an interesting concept to mix the experiments on the intelligence of the mice with experiments on the force. Ms. Frisby's amulet is sort of an unexplained power, kind of like the force. These experiments probably really would be tried on mice and rats before humans. I like that the rats somehow tricked the humans by putting out false leads.

Thank you, Greta, for enjoying this incredible account of what actually happened in The Secret of NIMH 2. However, I should point out that the Empire nor the rats are the only the parties that could be involved. It could be an organization that is relatively unknown to the Empire until a decade or so later. Not everybody accepts the Empire, and anybody who hated the Empire the most had once served it. Perhaps a rebel cell? A crime organization who wanted to exploit the Rats?

Like I said, the Empire has its secrets, but it does not know every secret out there in the galaxy, or beyond it.

• Oh, I hadn't thought it could be some other organization too. Could be rebels against the empire or a group that once served the empire and then split off. Maybe even something to do with the Jedi. I don't know Star Wars well, but all the experiments parts make sense.