Isabella and Justin

edited July 2014 in Main

You know, I always see Brisby and Justin, but I never see Isabella and Justin.

Why was she left out of the movie? I guess since she played such a minor role, the movie makers didn't think it was worth drawing another character and paying for another voice actor, since she didn't do anything for the plot.

But if so, why did the author even write her into the story in the first place? Ms. Brisby met her before she went to see Nicodemus. The conversation was short and didn't add much to the story.

Isabella did give a brief history. She talked about how they came from NIMH and never wanted to go back. And it showed how the younger rats were growing and studying and spending their time when not working.

Did you think her childhood crush was cute? Is she too young for Justin? Now a rat's life span is different from a humans, they become adults much faster, so a year for a rat wouldn't be as much for a human. But with the injections slowing the aging process, it would take much longer for her to grow up.

Isabella was second generation, right?

Were the rats intelligence and lifespan passed to their offspring? Would Johnathan's children live only half as long or be half as smart, because they had one normal parent?

Comments

• Yes, Greta. This is the pairing that should be, not Brisby and Justin. If only Isabella were included in the film or a rather decent sequel and she was with Justin the whole time instead. That might have been wonderful.

• Greta, I think the questions you asked about the rats' children were one of the reasons O'Brien wrote Isabella into the book. She was obviously able to read, so that's supposed to make us (and Mrs. Frisby) wonder whether the rats' children and the Frisby children will inherit their parents' traits. I think Isabella was also included to show a more "human" or sympathetic side to the rats. Isabella is portrayed as a cute, scared, little girl--she isn't mysterious and aloof like some of the older rats. She's just a kid who is studying her books and has a schoolgirl crush on someone older; I think the point of including her was to make the reader (especially children readers) connect with the rats and feel sympathetic toward them, and then also to make the reader care about Justin (since O'Brien hints that he died at the end of the book). Isabella is far too young for Justin--he'd be at least 10 years old at that point while she couldn't be more than maybe 1-2 years at the most; or in human equivalent, she'd be maybe 10-11 while he'd be in his 30s. But I think that's the point, for her to have an unrequited schoolgirl crush like many children do. Anyway, I wish she'd been included in the movie too; I think it would've made a cute scene ^.^ I'm including her in the fanfic I'm writing because I think she's an interesting character--a child who had to see the tragedy that occurred when NIMH came to the farm, and probably had to grow up very fast after that.

• There's a fan art section dedicated to Isabella and Justin and a few fanfics have put them together as well.

ARAJediMaster said:

Yes, Greta. This is the pairing that should be, not Brisby and Justin. If only Isabella were included in the film or a rather decent sequel and she was with Justin the whole time instead. That might have been wonderful.

While I have admitted that I would like an Isabella scene in the past, as of right now I don't think it would've added much to the movie. Having a forced love interest in the movie wouldn't have added anything meaningful either as it's irrelevant to the overall story. In the novel, it made sense as it helped show us more of the rats' side of life, but here the focus is more on Mrs. Brisby and her quest to save her child.

A9_ said:

Isabella is far too young for Justin--he'd be at least 10 years old at that point while she couldn't be more than maybe 1-2 years at the most; or in human equivalent, she'd be maybe 10-11 while he'd be in his 30s.

I think once a rat becomes fertile, they're fair game for mating. Maybe that's just me though. How they age and mature I feel would be different than humans. The NIMH genes do complicate things a bit, but overall I think they'd stick with their animal instincts when it comes to mating.

• ThePuppetMaster said:

I think once a rat becomes fertile, they're fair game for mating. Maybe that's just me though. How they age and mature I feel would be different than humans. The NIMH genes do complicate things a bit, but overall I think they'd stick with their animal instincts when it comes to mating.

I dunno, wouldn't that be kind of weird in the context of the book/movie? Rats and mice can become fertile at 5-6 weeks old--basically when they're barely more than babies. They also will mate with relatives--parents, children, siblings--and are not monogamous. But both the rats and the Brisbys have much more human-like relationships, for instance getting married, parents continuing to care for children, etc. In fact, in most ways they don't at all live like wild rodents actually live--that wouldn't make a very child-friendly story ;) Obviously the subject of mating isn't really touched upon in the book/movie, but since they live mostly like humans in all other ways, I would assume their relationships follow suit.

• edited July 2014

Well, when I first read the book, I was under the impression that Isabella was close to marrying age, i.e. eighteen in rat years or whenever they mate.

I would personally recton Isabella’s to about 13-15 in the first book and 17-18 in the future books. However, in my stories, Isabella is not only Justin’s love, but she would be 17 by the first film. However, due to some genetic quirk, she actually ages a little slower than the rest of the generation II’s and Justin would be roughly 25-26 in at this time. Think it’s plausible?

• ^ I’m one of those who paired up Justin and Isabella in my own stories, and since I’ve based them on the movie more than the book, I’ve allowed more fluidity in characters’ levels of maturity and their backstories overall. I regard Izzy as being well into her adolescence when she starts her crush on Justin at the Rosebush, and so is more than ready to be in a serious relationship with him after they’ve been in Thorn Valley a few months. I’ve also had the idea that the rate of aging could vary from individual to individual.