Happy 4th! And Other things...

Okay, where I live it's the 5th already, and when you're reading this, chances are the time has past. Anyway, happy 4th!

What did you guys do on the 4th to celebrate? Hopefully not drink and drive. Sadly, ran into a couple of drunk drivers myself today. Don't do it!

I watched SoN again on the 4th and something hit me....Why does everyone act rude/look down upon Mrs. Brisby? With the exception of Jeremy, everyone else, including Justin (who doesn't believe she could do the cat drugging job at first) and Nicodemus (who interrupts her before she can state her cause for coming and believes she needs help and comfort in the beginning of the film) is very much doubtful of her strength. To me, it doesn't really matter if they're kind to her or not, they don't really treat her as an equal. She saves the day at the end with help from the stone, an object given to her to tell us that she has strength, rather than show us. The stone has been debated before on here, and I usually play the Devil's Advocate on both sides because I feel that she should save the day, but admit it's kinda a cop-out, but at the same time there's not much else for her to do other than run in there and save her children, which would be borderline impossible.

Now, there's the exception: Jeremy, with whom we do see her more aggressive/assertive side. This sort of thing creates some kind of weird paradox for me. She seems to be a kind, meek, patient, and frightened soul when around the other characters, but with Jeremy she seems to show her other side. Now someone like a psychologist might look at this behavior and see a dominance battle of sorts among this group of characters, with Jeremy being at the bottom of the food chain.

I actually like the behavior of Mrs. Brisby when she's around Jeremy because I think it shows us a more human character rather than just a scaredy cat. We tend to look down, whether knowingly or not, on people whom we believe are inferior to our standards in some way. We can be kind to them, but that doesn't mean we view them as equals. Again whether knowingly or not, if they are flawed in a way we can't tolerate, we don't tend to treat them as equals.

So on this Independence Day, in America where we 'claim' to treat all men equal, I want you to try and accept other's weaknesses and strengths and try and make yourself known and allow others to make themselves known, and don't withhold privileges from others that you would give yourself. Liberate yourselves and allow others to be liberated is kinda what I'm saying. Let people face their weaknesses. Be kind and patient and don't outright dismiss or underestimate others.

Also don't drink and drive. Dat s**t is not cool, yo.

• I think the rats probably weren't just rude to Ms. Brisby. I think the rats are very aloof and secretive and would be suspicious and prejudiced to any newcomers that weren't one of them. They are smarter than normal rats and the rest of the animal population, so they probably look down on others not as smart as them.

In the book, when they tried to interact with normal rats, they couldn't anymore, because they were too different. So when the other rats rejected them, they rejected them too.

The rats also probably saw Brisby as a poor widow that needed to be pitied. At first they didn't even want to help her, they just saw her as a burden.

I think it was Jeremy's immature behavior that made her act more aggressive to him. It's not that she thinks all crows are stupid. If a different crow had been more dignified and less clumsy, she might have treated him better.

I think she lacks the patience for Jeremy. She thinks of him as like an overgrown child, so she acts like a parent to him. Even though he is bigger than her, he is younger and less experienced.

Jeremy also almost got them killed by the cat because he was goofing around.

Or maybe it could also be interpreted as two friends just playfully teasing each other. Sometimes friends do make jabs at one another in good fun.

Jeremy returned the favor to Ms. Frisby for setting him free by giving her a ride to the owl, so it's an equal exchange there.

Jeremy is always going to Ms. Frisby for advice, so he thinks she has superior knowledge that he doesn't have.