Stuff You Hate that everyone else seems to like

edited May 2014 in General Discussion

Post some of yours, if you have any. I always find these funny to read.

Comments

• I was gonna say MLP:FiM, but that's more supreme indifference than hate.

Micheal Bay's Transformers movies come to mind though. Oh, and the Star Trek reboot films.

Windows 8 doesn't count, since that's largely despised by people. Maybe Apple counts, since I hate their decades-long lack of real innovation and the way they pass off a lack of features as 'simplified'. That one goes back to the 70s, since most of what made the Apple II work was the 6502 chip, for which the guys at MOS Technology deserve credit. And we all know how Apple stole the GUI from Xerox to make the Lisa and then the Mac.

Manual transmissions in cars. A technology that has not moved forward an inch since gear synchros were invented decades ago. Let's face it, if you look at the performance figures, a lot of modern cars are faster with automatic/dsg type transmissions. Plus they typically offer some sort of manual gear selection mode anyways, for those occasions when you feel like it.

• edited May 2014

Summer. Wasps, bees, flies, ants, and other detestable insects are everywhere. Not to mention the sunburns.

Chips with the exception of Nacho Cheese Doritos. Butter and eggs too.

Sports. I always thought of professional sports as "cheating" as far as life goes. You get a salary of 2 million, endorsements of 20 million, all just to toss/kick a ball around? And in school it's responsible for half the cliques, at least half the bullying, and it gives teachers an excuse to not tutor kids before/after school("sorry, I have to coach the wrestling/soccer/football/golf/basketball/track team"). IMO it's one of the reasons America is going down the toilet.

Ignorance. There's always that one person that doesn't know anything, especially when you're relying on them to know simple things like how to work a calculator(seriously, I ran into somebody who didn't today) or read cursive(same guy). No excuse.

The recent plague of romance books that's stuffing my local library with sappiness. Has anyone else noticed that over the past 10 years, the romance section has gone from a shelf in the corner to 3/4 of the whole building? It's gone too far when the library considers getting rid of The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings for some stupid teen romance book that's been done a million times. Also books and movies about sports that ALWAYS go EXACTLY like this: Hero gets on/ahold of a crap team->Hero turns the crap team into a perfect team->Somebody gets hurt/killed and can't play->Team mourns->Team goes to state/super bowl/other end-of-line competition and wins. I can handle sports and romance, just not if it threatens my precious classics.

• I'm gonna just stick to video games and the most obvious one is: The Last of Us.

A stealth/horror game with great fleshed out characters and a cool story centered around the relationship of a down on his luck man and a hopeful Ellen Page look-a-like? Yes, this game would automatically get my attention based purely on premise. The thing is, it would've done better as a TV series or a Netflix original series or even a movie split up into 3 parts rather than a game.

It seems whenever it wants to be a game, it falters. And whenever gameplay is presented, it's not really interconnected with the story in any meaningful way. It seems to live in a different world.

I will say that the beginning was perfect. The exception to the rule if you will. If the game continued the interactivity in connection with the story, it very well might've been something special.

I want to love the game, but I can't. It's not a good /game/, it's a good /story/.

• A9_A9_
    edited May 2014

Funny, I was going to say automatic transmissions XD I like to think for myself instead of having my car think for me.

Harry Potter. I'll probably regret saying that...

A certain popular fanfic... I'll probably regret saying that too ;P

Reality TV. Pretty much TV in general.

And eggs. At least someone else said that too.

• Well, I’m going to regret saying this, but it would be the upcoming Star Wars films; Episodes VII-IX. I don’t see a point in continuing the saga. I feel that the story should be done here and now. No real sense at all in adding more to it (except as novels like the Thrawn Trilogy).

BTW, A9, what was the fanfic you were talking about?

• edited May 2014

ARAJediMaster said:

Well, I’m going to regret saying this, but it would be the upcoming Star Wars films; Episodes VII-IX. I don’t see a point in continuing the saga. I feel that the story should be done here and now. No real sense at all in adding more to it (except as novels like the Thrawn Trilogy).

I’m not sure this would count, since no one can like something that doesn't yet exist. I know, expectations are high and maybe it will prove to be a letdown, but until it actually hits movie screens it's wise to reserve judgment.

ARAJediMaster said:

BTW, A9, what was the fanfic you were talking about?

He didn't say it was a TSoN fanfic, but I'm curious too.

This is looking more like a thread about airing pet peeves. Not that that's a bad thing. :D X(

Swayti14 said:

Sports. I always thought of professional sports as "cheating" as far as life goes. You get a salary of 2 million, endorsements of 20 million, all just to toss/kick a ball around? And in school it's responsible for half the cliques, at least half the bullying, and it gives teachers an excuse to not tutor kids before/after school ("sorry, I have to coach the wrestling/soccer/football/golf/basketball/track team"). IMO it's one of the reasons America is going down the toilet.

Ignorance. There's always that one person that doesn't know anything, especially when you're relying on them to know simple things like how to work a calculator (seriously, I ran into somebody who didn't today) or read cursive (same guy). No excuse.

I so agree about sports overshadowing academic achievement in this country, and the obscenely high salaries of professional athletes. We've seen plenty of examples of what can result when sports are thought to overshadow everything else in importance: the Sandusky/Penn State scandal, the Stupidville, Ohio coverups, the overmedicating of athletes with injuries that would have sidelined anyone in any other profession.

When it comes to simple ignorance, I try to be a little kinder; after all, if ignorance were a sin, we'd all be guilty. For example, I'll readily admit total or near-total ignorance on any number of subjects, such as nuclear physics. When it comes to willful ignorance, when people are too lazy to learn about subjects that aren't complicated or overly technical, then yeah, I agree there's no excuse.

• DavidLeemhuis said:

ARAJediMaster said:

Well, I’m going to regret saying this, but it would be the upcoming Star Wars films; Episodes VII-IX. I don’t see a point in continuing the saga. I feel that the story should be done here and now. No real sense at all in adding more to it (except as novels like the Thrawn Trilogy).

I’m not sure this would count, since no one can like something that doesn't yet exist. I know, expectations are high and maybe it will prove to be a letdown, but until it actually hits movie screens it's wise to reserve judgment.

You can hate the idea/concept/fact that there are going to be more Star Wars movies, which I think that was what he was trying to say. As for hating the movies themselves when no one has seen them yet, yes, you can't really make an argument for that.

As for me, I'm sure there are plenty of things I hate that others like a lot, but I don't feel the need to think about it too hard.

• edited June 2014

I'm with Darius up there; I usually don't go so far as 'hate', and instead am indifferent to things that other people really like when I'm in this situation. MLP is definitely one of those, and so are a lot of AAA games, especially of the "realistic" FPS genre. I don't watch many movies or TV shows these days either; I just don't get excited about them for some reason.

That said, if you don't like eggs, I'm willing to bet that whoever cooked them for you didn't do it right. Eggs are delicious, and chances are if you don't like them in one form, you'd like them in another. ;3

• Have to say I'm with you on today's big budget games, especially FPS titles. I'd still rather play UT99 than most anything since. Too much focus on graphics perhaps, as opposed to gameplay. Seems like it's the smaller (and maybe foreign) game devs that are making the good stuff these days. Games like The Witcher, STALKER:SoC, Metro 2033, and FTL, for instance.

I've given up on TV (with the exception of Top Gear UK). This includes anime, since the last decent one I recall was Armored Trooper VOTOMS:Pailsen Files, and that came out around 2007.

• I don't like All Dogs Go to Heaven...the pacing of that movie and how it comically handles dark themes is laughable. It's also weird.