Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What's your opinion on anime?

edited April 2014 in General Discussion

Do you like this type of art style? Some people have told me they hate it because characters are drawn with oversized heads and eyes and unrealistic body proportions. But anime has really become a trend right now and they seem to be releasing more and more of it thinking that's what people want to watch.

Comments

• It really depends on the anime, I'd say, but the art style generally doesn't turn me off. I'm a big Hayao Miyazaki fan, and what little I've seen of Cowboy Bebop was really good. I'd actually like to get into it more, since western animation seems to have gone to an all 3D mentality. :P

• Anime as an art style is good, but I don't like any of the current series. Too much high school drama nonsense, not enough giant robots.

• DariusGreywind said:

Anime as an art style is good, but I don't like any of the current series. Too much high school drama nonsense, not enough giant robots.

I'm with this gentleman. I do like me some Persona, though, which is basically high school drama done right. I'm also a big Miyazaki fan as well.

Funnily enough, I actually really like those Halo animes (they exist, I'm not making this up) better than the games.

• I'd have to say anime is as weird as the country it comes from, Japan. But there are a few I can sit through, like Girls und Panzer.

• Not a fan of the genre as a whole; I’ve always questioned why so many of its creators have to have characters with that look about them, as if there’s an industry requirement to conform to that style. The most notable exception for me is Miyazaki; my only reservation about his films is that many of them end too abruptly.

• Seriously in love with it; there's no style I like more. I love the big heads, the big eyes, the graceful body proportions and the crazy hair. I don't think I'll ever stop loving anime. I've been collecting it for like..........hmm........seventeen years? Hah.

My favorite one is called Full Moon Wo Sagashite. It's a very touching, inspirational story about a little girl overcoming a life-threatening disease, grief, and learning about true love and what it takes to make impossible dreams a reality. It's just wonderful.

• As a whole I really have nothing against the artform. The difficulty I have is in understanding the plot to some of the series. I've watched Dragon Ball from time to time and I still cannot figure out what the plot is all about in that one.