What other forums are you on?

I think there was a thread along these lines in the old forum. So what other forums do the rest of you frequent or contribute to?

Oddly enough I’m not currently on any others related to animation. Right now the only other one for me is ProgArchives, “Your Ultimate Prog Rock Resource”, where I’m registered as AreYouHuman.

Incidentally, there’s a “Chris S” registered there; one of ours, possibly? :-?

Comments

• Other forums I use....eh...I used to be an avid poster on the Giant Bomb forums before the whole "I hate Patrick Klepek" scene came about. That has since cooled down and Klepek has (rightfully so) been regarded as a person worthy of respect. Before then, I was a heavy follower of GameSpot before Jeff Gerstmann got fired, but that community is and was always been pretty immature, even by my standards. Oh, and the World of Warcraft forums...yeah.....Those are a distant memory.

I myself am only tangentially familiar to Prog Rock. There's so many genres and sub genres of music and so little of it I've been subjected to. I blame my mother (not hatefully) for my lack of knowledge in the music area because she hates music (don't ask). I can understand that Metal and Prog Rock inspired one another, but as to what Prog Rock is, I'm less knowledgeable. Why is your name "AreYouHuman"? Is that relevant to anything? Can you describe and show me an example of Pro Rock? Your favorites?

Off topic, I do like to diversify my music, and there's no way to sugar coat this, but music is very...racial based. I'm sure they exist, but mixed racial bands/artists are virtually non existent. I listen to Heavy Metal/Hard Rock, but I also listen to 90s hip hop and rap (my boys Biggie and Tupac), which favored whites and blacks respectively. I went to a mostly black high school where I was made fun of and often outcast because I listened to "white people music", and I'm not over-exaggerating, I was very much called out for this. But I was introduced to more diverse music as time pressed on. But that feeling that music is kinda segregated in a way doesn't seem to be changing.

• Thanks for the interest. In simplest terms, Prog Rock is a genre that freely blends in elements of classical, jazz and other musical forms. Much of it is rhythmically and melodically complex and demands more of the listener than dance or “background” music, though some can be danced to. It can also be considered the Rodney Dangerfield of musical genres; it barely gets any acknowledgement in the lamestream press (the only area where Sarah Palin and I agree). There are many sub-genres, and debating which artists are or aren’t considered prog is a never-ending discussion; but out of those who are, some of the more commercially successful acts include Pink Floyd, Yes, Emerson,Lake & Palmer, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Dream Theater, Rush, King Crimson. Check out their site (ProgArchives.com) and you’ll find discographies of all artists; on the homepage, click on Prog Rock Guides at the top where they explain it better than I can. The forums always have some lively and informative and often hilarious discussions which are for the most part kept civil.

Why AreYouHuman? First, it was inspired by a line in the Curved Air song “Juno”: “Juno, what’s your secret? Are you human?” Second, it’s something of a commentary on some denizens of the ‘Net who could stand to have that very question posed to them. Beyond that it’s a little more personal. If you find any of my posts in the forum you’ll see a familiar avatar which I thought would add a nice ironic touch.

BTW, I heard something on NPR a couple weeks ago about people for whom music does nothing, it doesn’t evoke any emotional reaction and they aren’t moved by it at all. There’s a psychological term for it which I don’t recall, and I wonder if your mother has this condition. Maybe not, if she outright HATES music. Are we talking actual radio-smashing-with-hammer, or anything like that?

Anyway, feel free to check out PA, you’re sure to find it enlightening. %%-

• If you find any of my posts in the forum you’ll see a familiar avatar which I thought would add a nice ironic touch.

Let me guess...is it Jenner? (I haven't visited the site, btw, I'm just guessing.)

• Ah, it's the "we tend to take ourselves too seriously" line. Close.... I was really curious as to what it was. Any significance to your signature, or is it also too personal to answer? Sorry if it seems like I'm stalking, I was just curious as to what your avatar was. :p

Second, it’s something of a commentary on some denizens of the ‘Net who could stand to have that very question posed to them.

Like me? ;) .....Who knows? Maybe I'm not human. What is a man anyway? A miserable little pile of secrets!....Anyway, while it's tempting to be cynical of humanity and question it, I tend to take a more positive approach. Humanity is only as corrupt as you view it, and to say we haven't been making progress I feel is being too disingenuous. You have to separate ignorance from true hatred. "Well I don't like when humans do stupid things to hurt people!" Some may say (not saying you), well, that's part of living is dealing with other's mistakes and repenting for yours, whether it be forgiveness of others or yourself. So when you see a silly YouTube comment, instead of questioning humanity, try and understand that you can't get all out of a person using only the internet.

• Of course I never meant it to be taken too seriously to begin with, as far as a commentary on the state of humanity; it’s really just like a nudge to the side.

If stalking were a concern, I wouldn’t have told you that much to begin with. Ideally, the internet should be about sharing what you like, at least where choices of entertainment are concerned.

That signature line (Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!) is inspired by a line in Yours Is No Disgrace by Yes, a song I’d been familiar with for almost 30 years before I found out, to my honest astonishment, that that line was “silly human race”, when all that time I’d thought it was “save the human race.” When I found out, I immediately thought of the old Trix cereal ad campaign (we all know it) and started picturing a kid saying “Silly human race!” So there you have it. Since most ProgArchives posters are Yes fans, most if not all would get it.

• edited April 2014

DavidLeemhuis said:

Of course I never meant it to be taken too seriously to begin with, as far as a commentary on the state of humanity; it’s really just like a nudge to the side.

Of course! You even say we take ourselves too seriously. Well, I say 'we'....still dunno if I'm in the human group, tho. :p So I didn't view it as more than a joke. I just made my aside commentary for the cynics out there. :3

If stalking were a concern, I wouldn’t have told you that much to begin with. Ideally, the internet should be about sharing what you like, at least where choices of entertainment are concerned.

My bad, it's just people get sensitive over the internet when you "get up in 'dere buizznass". :p

Tell ya what, since I'm curious enough, I'mma make an account and join some discussions on the prog forums. Don't expect me to be there too often though, unless something amazing happens.

Edit: I'm Whatthefoxtrot (thought it would be appropriate for the topic of the forums.) :P

• DavidLeemhuis said: BTW, I heard something on NPR a couple weeks ago about people for whom music does nothing, it doesn’t evoke any emotional reaction and they aren’t moved by it at all. There’s a psychological term for it which I don’t recall, and I wonder if your mother has this condition. Maybe not, if she outright HATES music. Are we talking actual radio-smashing-with-hammer, or anything like that?

I know this is turning into a topic about other sites, but now it's becoming about music. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/03/06/286786987/for-some-people-music-truly-doesnt-make-them-happy I found the article you were talking about and it's called amusia. I would have just told her to keep trying until she found something she liked, but if she has that condition then she won't like anything. Sometimes my friends will totally be emotional over a song, and if it's not my type of music I just won't get it. I listen mostly to movie soundtracks, and secret of nimh has one of the best soundtracks. It's incredibly hard to find the original cd though. I don't know why people find classical music boring. Classical music is great because there is no one singing over it so you can interpret the song or emotions however you like. I won't give out my screen names yet. Usually I make up a different one for every website. I'm mostly a member of other cartoon or anime forums. I like close-nit communities over crowded ones where you're just another voice in the crowd.

• I actually made my name Whatthefoxtrot today. It was actually Whathefoxtrot when I first registered. So I re-registered with the real name. Don't expect me to be on there (ProgArchives) much at all. I just wanted to correct my name. n.n

I don't have anything to add that isn't related to just my weird taste in music. I've been listening to some oldies like Harry the Hipster and Buddy Holly, but nothing interesting or related to prog rock.