Favorite Films/Films You've Seen Recently?

I watch a lot of films, as it's kinda my job as a lazy slob bum.

The Lego Movie I thought was pretty good! Some of the jokes didn't work for me, but its message of creativity and the way it delivered that message I feel is worth the price of admission.

The Grand Budapest Hotel is a great film, might even be Wes Anderson's best brilliantly weird and well choreographed black comedy to date. I can only recommend if you are already a Wes Anderson fan, though. And hey! Willem Dafoe is in it! A pity he doesn't speak in garbled screams, but this however doesn't ruin the movie. If you're interested in Wes Anderson, I'd say a good place to start is The Royal Tenenbaums, but you kinda have to go into Grand Budapest knowing what to expect from Wes Anderson, I'd say.

How about you guys? What movies have you seen recently? n.n

• edited March 2014

Oh hey. I'm here...again =)

Okay recent films. I'll include films from last year as well. This is no particular order.

Gravity: The most technically impressive movie I've seen in a while. Not to mention great acting from Sandra Bullock (who is impressive in good roles and irritating in bad ones) and George Clooney. While a lot space movies are more concerned with blowing stuff up, which there's nothing wrong with, its nice to see movies like this along Moon that fall in the same category of films like 2001: A Space Odssey, Solaris, and Silent Running which deal with theme of space exploration or in this case the dangers of space. Very happy that Alfonso Cuarón won the Oscar for best director. Also a fan of his adaptation of Children of Men.

Monuments Men: This film was a huge disappointment for me. Barely an hour into it I was waiting for it either to end or get good. Unfortunately it didn't. Clooney is a talented director, "Good Night and Good Luck" is one of my favorite films, but this film did not know what it wanted to be: a war drama or buddy comedy. There are films which can equally balance the two, this one didn't. Which is a shame because I'm reading about the real Monuments Men and whats detailed in the book but only hinted at or never shown in the film is pretty amazing. A brief explanation for those not in the know: The Monuments Men were groups of scholars who went into Europe and sometimes behind enemy lines to secure historical art from being stolen/destroyed by the Germans, hoarded by the Russians or destroyed by the Allies. Hitler was planning to build a museum named after him in his hometown and in it would contain art stolen from all over Europe including many from the Louvre museum in Paris. The film wants to be a buddy comedy but the chemistry between the actors isn't all that good despite the impressive cast list. There's a lot of hokeyness and emotional pandering. And the ending is one of big anti-climax after a really suspenseful sequence is built and then goes nowhere.

The Lego Movie: I can sum it up with these words: Everything is awesome! One of the funniest comedies I've seen in a while.

The Wind Rises: Legendary animation director Hayao Miyazaki's swan song...maybe. After all this was the guy who said he was going to retire in 1998. A great experience to see a Studio Ghibli film on the big screen as well as seeing traditional animation on the big screen. Planes and other forms of flying machines have been fascination with Miyazaki for decades going to back to his directed Lupin III episode and the second Lupin III film (and the best one) Castle of Cagliostro and his Ghibli films Naussicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, and especially Porco Rosso. In fact the initial rumors were that this was going to be a sequel to Porco Rosso. Alas it is not. Anyway, about the film... The film is a fictionalized biography of Jiro Horikoshi, inventor of the Japanese Zero fighter which played a significant part in WWII. Due to poor eyesight Jiro can't pursue his dream of flying so instead he takes engineering to design planes instead. A lot of the film deals with pre-war Japan which is struggling with poverty, earthquakes, epidemics and being behind technologically with the rest of the world. We see Jiro's determination to design the perfect aircraft knowing that the ultimate goal of the aircraft is to wage war. Historically the film does skim by a lot of the gritty details like the fact that slave labor in China and Korea were used to manufacture the Zeros but the war is not the main focus. The focus is on Jiro and his strives to achieve his dream, ending on a rather bitter sweet note. Jiro is definitely an analogy for Miyazaki who for decades has pushed himself and his staff to create the most beautiful films ever animated. The Wind Rises is not Miyazaki's best but certainly not his worst. The film is in fact his most grounded work that he's directed (he has written / co-written other Ghibli films such as Whisper of the Heart and From Up on Poppy Hill which are non-fantasy films). Well told, good acting, beautifully animated but it really could've used more of a bite especially since its dealing in pre-war politics. But an appropriate send-off for one of the great masters.