Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Moving the Brisby House

edited February 2014 in Main

Why did they move the Brisby house with the children STILL INSIDE? I understand how someone would have to watch over Timmy, but they shouldn't have to risk all of them. They got a lit candle that can tip over while the house is moving. Maybe only Martin or the older sister should have stayed behind. And the kids seem totally confused about what's going on. Nobody even tried to explained it to the older ones. I think they only made it that way for added suspense when the house was sinking. Another weird detail is when the rats are pulling Ms. Brisby's cinderblock house in when it's sinking in the mud, they drew them looking like they're smiling evily. Why did they draw them like that? They shouldn't be happy that the children are trapped inside, they should be horrified. They shouldn't be happy that the plan to move the house failed. It's never said they're in league with Jenner.

Comments

• Mrs. Brisby had to save the day somehow, at least according to the writers....

• The rats grinning evilly? I believe we did cover this on the old forum. What I think is that they were actually grimacing with the effort; a cinderblock ain’t exactly light! As for why the house wasn’t evacuated first, I always pictured a scene just after the Shrew’s “Oh…the Rats!” where she summons her courage and confronts the one at the door, probably Justin, and goes on about how she’s there to protect the children from “you hoodlum rats” despite efforts from the rats and the kids to explain that it’s for Timothy’s own good and with their mother’s approval. So they have little other choice but to proceed with a “Don’t say we didn’t warn you!”

Actually, a detail in the book I found interesting and a little odd was that, after making such a point of keeping Timmy inside for protection from the chill air, at the time of the moving they wrap him up real warm and actually bring him outside for a short while, and he’s none the worse for it afterward.

• You're absolutely right. I too seerm to remember this small detail. Timothy it seems was kept warm and safe inside the cinderblock house up until the very last moment. He was then brought outside for the briefest of periods and as you pointed out, was none the worst for wear.

• I think the idea with that part in the book was that Timothy couldn't be outside for a long time, like how long it would take them to move to a new home, and he probably wasn't strong enough to walk either. They bundled him up and he was only outside for a moment (moving the cinderblock was much quicker in the book than the movie) so that wasn't enough of a chill to affect him. That's how I read it anyway.

• edited April 2014

A9_ said:

I think the idea with that part in the book was that Timothy couldn't be outside for a long time, like how long it would take them to move to a new home, and he probably wasn't strong enough to walk either. They bundled him up and he was only outside for a moment (moving the cinderblock was much quicker in the book than the movie) so that wasn't enough of a chill to affect him. That's how I read it anyway.

Hmm, I see what you mean. I think that in the films, Jenner had somehow destroyed the logs or blocks to move the house forcing the rats to utilize the rope and pulley system, or alternatively the weather (it was raining) probably made things more difficult. The logs meant to move house could have very well have stuck in the mud, or driven in too deeply that the house would be stuck where it would be. Also, the rain could prove problematic because it might cause Timothy’s body temperature to drop even with a blanket to bundle him up (its dampness wouldn’t help with that either). I mean, isn’t that possible?