Is Jenner Evil?

edited February 2014 in Main

I liked our old discussion thread about whether or not Jenner was evil. I just wanted to revive it in case anyone thought of new ideas or wanted to repost their thoughts.

I don't think Jenner was actually evil in the books. He was just the obvious choice to be made evil since he was one of the named rats that wanted to continue stealing from humans, and so the humans reading would think of him as evil. In fact, in some passages, you can see that Justin actually admires Jenner. "These were my two closest friends. We liked the same games,the same jokes, them same topics of conversation. I particularly admired Jenner, who was extremely quick and intelligent." It doesn't make sense that he would betray his own best friend. And he misses him once he leaves too. I think some of the rats opposed the plan because they just wanted to continue with what they were used too, and were afraid of anything new. Maybe they were even lazy and thought doing things the hard way would take more work then stealing so that's why they opposed the plan. Perhaps they were afraid the plan wouldn't work, that they wouldn't be able to be self-sufficient, and they've be left starving and without food, and with a much larger population.

Comments

• I think Jenner was handled poorly. He is basically your stereotypical sociopathic animated villain, which isn't very interesting. I try to humanize him up in my own fanfic and give him some purpose behind his "evilness". If the film was more grounded in reality, ditch the magic, make the characters more interesting and not animated film stereotypes, and basically be a bit more like the book, I'd be more entertained.

• @ThePuppetMaster said: I think Jenner was handled poorly. He is basically your stereotypical sociopathic animated villain, which isn't very interesting. I try to humanize him up in my own fanfic and give him some purpose behind his "evilness". If the film was more grounded in reality, ditch the magic, make the characters more interesting and not animated film stereotypes, and basically be a bit more like the book, I'd be more entertained.

Correction: Jenner is a hawt and sexy rat-thing. There will no more crap-talking Jenner, I tells yas! slaps past me

Also past me, shut up about your pretentiousness. You secretly enjoyed the movie more than the book.