Aladdin as a NIMH mouse

edited December 2014 in Fan Art

Okay, now you may think of me as being a little crazy, but I just had to come up with it. Now, many of you may have watched Disney’s Aladdin and you know the basic storyline of that. Some of you have a copy of A Thousand and One Arabian Nights or found it at your local library or something like that. Now, I like both versions and I thought I’d like to create a concept with some basis on both sources. Firstly, I’d like to retain the country of origin and wardrobe found in the Disney version with this version of Aladdin, and he’d be a little boy like the original. I would say that the basic body design and face would be similar to Timothy Brisby from the first film. My representation of Aladdin doesn’t necessarily have to have Timothy’s color of fur; he could have black fur, brown fur, tanish fur, or even gray fur. I would most likely go with the tanish brown color. Aladdin’s age would be the biological equivalent of a ten year old human.

I’d also like to bring up the idea of what the genie should be. In the original story, there are two genies believe or not—the Genie of the Ring and, of course, the Genie of the Lamp. We should know that the Genie of the Lamp is the more powerful of the two, but I’m interested in focusing on the Genie of the Ring and how Aladdin came into contact with it. In the original story, the ring is given to Aladdin by the wicked sorcerer who instructs him to rub it in case of trouble. When Aladdin is trapped in the cave, he rubs the ring inadvertently and is taken home by the genie. I would imagine the ring’s band would be in the form of a golden mouse curling up around the wearer’s finger, wrapping its tail around a round sapphire, and clutching the tail in its paws. The mouse would appear to be sleeping as this would be the state of the Genie in the ring, but when the genie is summoned, the mouse’s mouth would open to allow the Genie to come out of it.

As for the Genie himself, or rather herself, she would have a design based on Mrs. Brisby but has literally blue fur like the Disney Genie. She also has golden manacles on her wrists. Her clothing would consist of transparent harem pants—probably blue or purple, a bra—same color as the pants, no shoes, and I’m not sure about ear jewelry, but I’m not very keen on pony-tail hairstyles—I’d prefer the Genie to just appear as a normal mouse despite her fur color. I’d imagine her to take on a motherly role toward Aladdin. In the Disney movie, Aladdin is described as an orphan. My Aladdin is somewhat orphaned too, but in truth, all he knows about his mother’s fate is that she was taken away from him by foreign slavers and is most likely dead. There is still a chance that she is still alive, but again we aren’t too sure about it.

A few images I can imagine seeing these two is in the cave after it has been sealed; Aladdin is on the floor of the cave, which has the appearance of a stomach, and he is crying with his knees tucked under his chin. Next, when he accidentally rubs the ring, the gemstone in it begins to glow and he is looking at it in surprise. Aladdin then jumps to his feet when the ring starting shooting out fireworks from it. Aladdin shields his face and eyes as blue smoke fills the chamber completely—he doesn’t notice a huge, darker blue shape emerging from the ring.

The smoke barely clears when Aladdin finds out he can breathe in it and it doesn’t hurt his eyes, but he’s disoriented in the mist. He bumps into something big and wet and realizes it’s the nose of a giant creature. He jumps backs thinking it’s a lion or wolf, and sees the “giant” is a big, blue mouse sleeping in front of him on a fluffy blue cloud, covered in a blanket without any clothing on her at all. Aladdin realizes the mouse is really a genie, about the size of a human to a mouse—he learns of this by noticing her smoke tail coming from the ring’s “mouth” and she is still growing from as the smoke still pours from it.

When it stops, the genie stirs from her slumber. As her huge eyes slit open, Aladdin is a little worried she will be angry at him for awakening her. Looking in her pupils are like looking into giant black mirrors—the reflections start out blurry, but eventually become clearer–and sharp enough—to see the tiny mouse in greater detail. Once she sees Aladdin clearly, the smaller mouse notices her satisfied smile from her slumber grow wider. The genie stretches to relieve her of her stiff limbs and back. As the bed and blanket dissipate into smoke, the genie pulls her clothes as smoky versions of themselves from nowhere and they materialize into cloth.

When she’s finished with readying herself, she looks down at Aladdin and waves cheerfully at him. Aladdin is just too dumbfounded to figure what to do after seeing her. But the genie is patient and kind so she lays down in front of him so their eyes are nearly level. She then strokes his fur, reassuring Aladdin she won’t harm him until he calms down. The two introduce themselves and begin chatting like the closest of friends. Eventually Aladdin allows her to resume her upright stance and to take him up in her palm. At one point, the genie brings Aladdin up to her face and cheek to nuzzle him and comfort him because he is trapped in the cave with no parents or anybody but the genie to care for him.

The genie produces food and drink for Aladdin, and decides to join in. She explains what she can do and what she can’t do—even to the point of singing “Friend Like Me” to him and putting on a similar performance. Amazed at what his genie’s powers, Aladdin wonders if could stay in the cave for practically the remainder of his life, but dismisses the thought and asks her to get him out and back home, which she does.

And I believe you should know how the rest of the story should go, but I do want to bring up more ideas on these characters and whatnot like maybe a name for the ring Genie, or if it was a good sorcerer who gave Aladdin the ring and had him retrieve the lamp as a test of his character—and to keep it away from the wicked one. Maybe we might see how Aladdin meets the princess in the story and their relationship leading up to their marriage. Anyway, that part above is just how I’d envision the scene to be. If anybody has any comments or ideas, let me know.

Comments

• That's interesting, you can have a little side story and make an illustrated fan-fic like Marcus Lindemann.

• ThePuppetMaster said:

That's interesting, you can have a little side story and make an illustrated fan-fic like Marcus Lindemann.

You know, I think that that was the thing that was on my mind. Unfortunately, I’m only minimally skilled in drawing and I haven’t spared any time to brush up on those skills. Maybe I will draw the images down one day, but for now, I’d like to focus on the story part first and then flesh them out. Maybe, if I’m lucky, somebody could take what they have of my story and they can draw it out until I can do it myself.

• Interesting idea, it sounds like you're off to a good start. In my own work I haven't seriously pursued crossovers, but it can be fun even if melding the two or more different worlds wouldn't seem to work at first blush.

• DavidLeemhuis said:

Interesting idea, it sounds like you're off to a good start. In my own work I haven't seriously pursued crossovers, but it can be fun even if melding the two or more different worlds wouldn't seem to work at first blush.

Actually, I wouldn’t constitute it as a “crossover”, but rather as an adaption of both the original and Disney Aladdin stories with characters as mice, you see. I truly love the style of the mice from NIMH because it feels like a real mouse without it being completely being a real mouse. It’s a style that I can relate to having to create.

• I could imagine Jonathan drawn in an Aladdin style and I think that style would work well with him. He could have tan fur close to the color of Aladdin's skin. I think Ms. Frisby would look cute in a genie style outfit. I did read the original and knew there were two genies. In that version, Aladdin never frees either of the genies either. I think you made just enough changes to the story for it to not be an exact copy of the original story. I think the relationship with Aladdin and the genie sounds nice. I wonder if she will really turn out to be his true mother all along with a spell put on her or something.

• edited October 2014

Greta said:

I could imagine Jonathan drawn in an Aladdin style and I think that style would work well with him. He could have tan fur close to the color of Aladdin's skin.

Well, I think that was geared more toward the true Timothy Brisby (the Timothy from the first NIMH and NIMH 2 is non-canon) in his younger days. Maybe Aladdin would look more like Jonathan in his teenage to adult years.

I think Ms. Frisby would look cute in a genie style outfit.

I concur, there.

I did read the original and knew there were two genies. In that version, Aladdin never frees either of the genies either.

Yes, I am well aware of that. I am considering whether or not to free one of the genies, both of them, or neither. In your honest opinion, which should I shoot for?

I think you made just enough changes to the story for it to not be an exact copy of the original story.

Good, and I hope to add more ideas to it. Perhaps, one day, I could actually publish it as a novel.

I think the relationship with Aladdin and the genie sounds nice. I wonder if she will really turn out to be his true mother all along with a spell put on her or something.

Hmm, interesting idea. Not what I had in mind, but interesting.

P.S. If you want to make separate paragraphs, Greta, try hitting the “Enter” key twice.

• I have to hit it twice instead of once? I think I made separate paragraphs but they didn't show up. Or I put too many spaces and so it squeezed all my lines together. Oops, I meant Timothy, not Jonathan. If Timothy is an orphan, Jonathan won't appear, unless maybe he wishes for him. But I think there relationship would grow more if the dad wasn't there.

It is up to you whether you free the genie or not. I would like to see the start of the story and what their relationship is like before I decide. Perhaps he is afraid she will leave him if he wishes her free.

• edited June 2014

Greta said:

I have to hit it twice instead of once? I think I made separate paragraphs but they didn't show up. Or I put too many spaces and so it squeezed all my lines together. Oops, I meant Timothy, not Jonathan. If Timothy is an orphan, Jonathan won't appear, unless maybe he wishes for him. But I think there relationship would grow more if the dad wasn't there.

It is up to you whether you free the genie or not. I would like to see the start of the story and what their relationship is like before I decide. Perhaps he is afraid she will leave him if he wishes her free.

Hey, Greta. It’s all good. We all make mistakes. And in case we do make mistakes, we’ve got a special feature on this site to correct them. It’s called the “edit” button.

Well, maybe the father doesn’t appear in the story for a long, long time. As I had said above, Aladdin knows only how he lost his parents. It doesn’t mean they are dead necessarily, though he doesn’t know if they are alive. Besides, he would keep the genie for years before he would come to the decision to free her.

And here’s an image that a friend of mine made for me based on this story:

I hope you like it!

P.S. I couldn’t get it up the first time on full resolution, so I had to go back, get the best quality possible, then used the edit feature to replace the other image. See how it could be effective?

• Aw, it's very cute. So, she will be like a surrogate mother to him.

• edited July 2014

Greta said:

Aw, it's very cute. So, she will be like a surrogate mother to him.

So what you think of this one?

• edited July 2014

How people can draw this well is beyond me. Has he considered putting work in the site's Fan Art gallery?