Introducing ARAJediMaster

edited November 2013 in Introductions

Hello my fellow NIMH fans. I am ARAJediMaster and I wish to extend my gratitude toward Simon for starting up these new forums. I was reluctant at first, as I had never been on forums before and I am not usually one for conversation, but I am glad to announce my coming here. I also like to present this site with a story of mine that is progress now; Thorns and Fire. It is a crossover with Star Wars and it will serve as a sequel to the first film. It will see some of the familiar characters from NIMH and Lucas’ epic. I’d like to put up the first chapter of this story and I hope you all enjoy it. Although the original story was partially science fiction until Don Bluth added in a fantasy element, I thought what make a great science fiction and fantasy adventure? My answer was Star Wars and since I have just recently read “Heir to the Empire” as well as listening to the audiobooks of the other two books of the Thrawn Trilogy, I thought that would inspire me to help me write this story.

I also want to explore what a child has to go through in order to become a Jedi Knight and I feel the Brisby children are the right choice. As clichéd as it might sound, I really do want to bring back Jonathan Brisby and see him reunited with his children. I feel that his personality and character were not very well defined in the film and I want to explore the possibility “What if Jonathan was somewhere out there looking for his children? What if the injections at NIMH did not just boost their intelligence to sapience, but also to grant them the power of the Force?” My love for Star Wars and NIMH inspired me to do just that.

Comments

• edited May 2013

Cool, if you have a full story, you can email it to me at shivermetimbers92@yahoo.com and I'll put it up. Edit: I should mention that if you are ready, you can still email me anytime. n.n

• Hiya, welcome aboard. Since I'm firmly in the "Johnathan Lives!" camp, I'll be looking forward to seeing your work. Since they're in two quite different universes I'm curious to see how you'll pull it off.

• DavidLeemhuis said:

Hiya, welcome aboard. Since I'm firmly in the "Johnathan Lives!" camp, I'll be looking forward to seeing your work. Since they're in two quite different universes I'm curious to see how you'll pull it off.

David, thank you so much. I hope to do well with my story too. Right now, I’m working on a special effects video by compositing lightsaber blades into the final fight scene in The Secret of NIMH and I am in the process of rotoscoping Justin’s lightsaber right now. After that, I’ll mask out were the lightsaber is behind something, then the clashes, I hope to incorporate burn marks and sparks into the shots too. I hope you like the final product!

• ARAJediMaster said: David, thank you so much. I hope to do well with my story too. Right now, I’m working on a special effects video by compositing lightsaber blades into the final fight scene in The Secret of NIMH and I am in the process of rotoscoping Justin’s lightsaber right now. After that, I’ll mask out were the lightsaber is behind something, then the clashes, I hope to incorporate burn marks and sparks into the shots too. I hope you like the final product!

That would be really cool to see. I'm glad you're going through with it. :D

• Hey, welcome to the new Thorn Valley Forums ARA! Glad to have you here with us. :-bd

• Nimhster said:

Hey, welcome to the new Thorn Valley Forums ARA! Glad to have you here with us. :-bd

It is an absolute pleasure indeed. Currently, I am working on the fan-fiction project, and I will send you the link to the first chapter and see what you think of it. Here it is: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/360947571/

• edited April 2014

I was able to understand the story fine in spite of my limited knowledge of Star Wars. I knew Nicodemus would be the obvious choice for the 'Obi Wan Kenobi' of this story. I was afraid for a moment that this was going to be a plot where Jonathan's love of Ms. Brisby corrupted him like it did with Anakin. I also thought that part about him falling in love for her after he saved her from the cat was a good addition to the story. What do you guys think of that? I thought Justin was very in character and I think his concern for Brisby and Jonathan was so like him. I never thought the force would match up so well with the NIMH universe. But I guess it's a good explanation for the sudden magic, such as the stone. I look forward to seeing the children train if that's part of the story. I wonder how bossy Martin will handle it. I think he would be easiest to tempt, but I'm not sure you want to follow in the sequel's footsteps of turning him evil. Cynthia didn't seem too bright, but maybe that was only because she was little. I wonder how she will do as a Jedi. On the other hand, I really want the main focus of the story to be about Jonathan and Justin.

• edited April 2014

Greta said:

I was able to understand the story fine in spite of my limited knowledge of Star Wars.

Thank you Greta for that wonderful feedback. I am glad you would get it.

I knew Nicodemus would be the obvious choice for the 'Obi Wan Kenobi' of this story.

Yes, indeed. My, how these two are quite similar to each other and I thought it would be nice to have Justin have Nicodemus guide him even after death.

I was afraid for a moment that this was going to be a plot where Jonathan's love of Ms. Brisby corrupted him like it did with Anakin.

Oh, it would never have been like that. Jonathan was just confused and wasn’t sure what to do at the time until Nicodemus talked to him about it.

I also thought that part about him falling in love for her after he saved her from the cat was a good addition to the story. What do you guys think of that?

I thought Justin was very in character and I think his concern for Brisby and Jonathan was so like him.

I agree. I think it would natural for him to be concerned for his friend and wife, but I wanted to also create some character development and how he would react upon learning that an old friend of his is really alive.

I never thought the force would match up so well with the NIMH universe. But I guess it's a good explanation for the sudden magic, such as the stone.

It took me a while to think it up, but after thinking it though—the experimentation on the Rats, midi chlorians providing knowledge of the Force to their hosts as well as life, Nicodemus’ abilities, and the final scene’s resemblance to Yoda raising the X-wing—I thought to myself, seems a little bit like the Force, and why not include “Star Wars” into the mix?

I look forward to seeing the children train if that's part of the story. I wonder how bossy Martin will handle it. I think he would be easiest to tempt, but I'm not sure you want to follow in the sequel's footsteps of turning him evil.

Oh, fret not. I sense that young Martin’s future will brighter than that. Remember when Luke first learned of who Yoda was and his test with the X-wing? I assure that Martin will learn patience.

Cynthia didn't seem too bright, but maybe that was only because she was little. I wonder how she will do as a Jedi.

Cynthia has grown wiser and more skilled thanks to Timothy. She will discover more other more intimate abilities that will prove useful in the future.

On the other hand, I really want the main focus of the story to be about Jonathan and Justin.

Well, the focus of the story will be about Jonathan, his journey back home, and the final battle between the Rats and the Empire, but I’d like to have Mrs. Brisby get a decent piece of the action as well.

• edited April 2014