Looks like we got dem there spam bots.

Looking at the recent activity for the forum shows an influx of users joining with jumbled up usernames. I'd be careful when clicking links on the forums as it may lead to unwanted results...

Comments

• edited May 2013

I haven't tried to yet, probably a good thing. Some of them look pretty iffy. :-? And only a handful of them are familiar or look like legitimate users.

• If you go into their profiles and read the "Roles" status, it shows that they have yet to confirm their email address to become a full member. They haven't posted anything yet, so I think we're good for now. The old Thorn Valley Forums had a handful of users that had registered without posting anything at all but I don't think any of them were spam bots.

• I need to find a bulk user admin tool, and I'm thinking of reimplementing my NIMH "Captcha" for this forum. For now, though, it shouldn't be a big deal.

• Simon said:

I need to find a bulk user admin tool, and I'm thinking of reimplementing my NIMH "Captcha" for this forum. For now, though, it shouldn't be a big deal.

They're already sending out notifications containing trojan-ridden websites. So just a heads up for everyone.

• ThePuppetMaster said:

Simon said:

I need to find a bulk user admin tool, and I'm thinking of reimplementing my NIMH "Captcha" for this forum. For now, though, it shouldn't be a big deal.

They're already sending out notifications containing trojan-ridden websites. So just a heads up for everyone.

Ok. I purged all of the accounts that hadn't confirmed their email address. If anyone receives a notification from a spammer please note which user it is and let me know and I'll delete them.