1 week until old forum closes

edited April 2013 in News

Just a reminder that the old forum will close and redirect to this forum in a week, around May 4. If you have any PMs or anything you'd like to save from it, do it soon.

Comments

• A question or two about the archived "oldforum":

Is there any way to have it include all the old extras, mainly who's being quoted (though the quote boxes are still there)? And hey! There ain't no more pitchers!

Also, in skimming over some of the old posts, it looks like not all the punctuation made the trip. In particular, no colons. (Ooh, that's painful)

• I'll take a look and see what can be fixed, but I make no promises. What I may be able to do is make the topic pages link to an internet archive version of the forum.

• I am preparing one final archive. You'll be pleased to know that I'm attempting to use a site mirroring tool to provide a higher-fidelity static copy of the forum (images and all). I'm less sure that it worked correctly, and there's a higher likelihood of broken links, but it should work.

Anyway, you have hours before the old forum closes completely, and begins redirecting here.

• And it's done. Again, you can access posts from the old forum at http://www.thornvalley.com/oldforum

• So it is! Excellent! :D

I see the previous Beranda oldforum is still up. Will we have both, or will you be taking that down eventually?

• DavidLeemhuis said:

So it is! Excellent! :D

I see the previous Beranda oldforum is still up. Will we have both, or will you be taking that down eventually?

Er? You should see something that looks more or less exactly like the old forum used to look like. Try hitting refresh or clearing your browser cache.

• Yes, I did get the one that's like the old forum. What I meant was I can still access the Beranda oldforum, through a link on one of my posts. I should have made that clearer. So right now both of them are up. I just checked it again before I wrote this.

• Huh. What link has the Beranda thing? I can't diagnose the issue without more specifics.

• It's on my first April 5 post on "On the fan-fiction balcony."

• DavidLeemhuis said:

It's on my first April 5 post on "On the fan-fiction balcony."

You mean this link? http://www.thornvalley.com/oldforum/1/t-965.html

It gives me a 404 error. You're probably seeing a cached version.

• I'm still getting the Beranda forum instead of a 404 error. Either way I'll just change the link to the new archived forum.

• edited May 2013

I like what you've done with the old forum in means of archiving it, Simon. New members that join in the future can see how the old forums were like and who was involved before the change. Thank you again for doing this! :)

• edited May 2013

Simon! How about a link to the old forum on the Commons page? Unless it's someplace else that I missed, other than on the new forum. I think it would be helpful to newcomers and those who haven't dropped in for awhile.

• DavidLeemhuis said:

Simon! How about a link to the old forum on the Commons page? Unless it's someplace else that I missed, other than on the new forum. I think it would be helpful to newcomers and those who haven't dropped in for awhile.

Good idea. I've added a link.

• Is it someplace other than the Commons? Because I'm not seeing it yet.

• DavidLeemhuis said:

Is it someplace other than the Commons? Because I'm not seeing it yet.

Try pressing refresh. You're probably seeing a cached version of the page.