Games

edited April 2013 in General Discussion

What games do you all like to play? I have quite a few I never get bored of. Minecraft, Empire Earth(the first one, the sequels are terrible[imagine that!]), Happy Wheels, and World of Tanks are what I spend my free time on. What do you guys like?

Comments

• I plan on playing Deadly Premonition the Director's Cut next week. Other than that, nothing really at the moment. I haven't been hearing good things about the Director's Cut though, which worries me.

As for Deadly Premonition itself, I love the game and would even pay double the price for a worse version of it just to have it. It takes the awful and turns it into the wonderful in such spectacular ways. It's broken, yet it has fun with it without frustrating the player. It's also weird, hilarious, and even strangely sentimental and endearing. There are those who will hate it, but for me it's an example of art. It's been described as a beautiful train-wreck and I agree with that statement. Please give it a chance if you haven't, there's some really memorable moments in this game.

As for games that I can enjoy anytime: Portal, Half Life 2, Silent Hill 2, Hotline Miami, and The Binding of Issac.

• Recently, I've been replaying some of the Myst series; I'm about a third of the way through Riven, I finished Myst III Exile, and I'm about a third of the way through Myst IV Revelation. All really good titles, if you like puzzle/exploration style games.

Other recent games I've played:

• To the Moon - highly recommended puzzle RPGish thing with a very emotional story.
    • Rayman Origins - good platformer with awesome visuals, though gets tricky occasionally.
    • Thomas Was Alone - simple platformer with interesting gameplay and narration, though I haven't finished it yet (reached a spot I can't get past)
    • Waking Mars - not sure how to describe this one. Puzzle/Adventure? It's good though.
    • William & Sly 2 - excellent little flash platformer where you play as a fox. The first game is good too.
    • Perspective - free puzzle platformer that has an interesting and challenging 2D/3D mechanic.
    • Black Mesa - Half Life 1 reimagined using the Half Life 2 Source engine. Also free!
    • Vessel - platformer with liquid physics mechanics.
    • Bioshock - I've played about 1/3 of the way through and watched a complete playthrough. I like it, but I can only handle it in short bursts.
    • Psychonauts - It's kinda hard. I've gotten stuck on it and haven't picked it up lately. I'd like to finish it someday though.

Games I enjoy anytime:

• Portal 2 - I love this game, and the perpetual testing initiative keeps things very fresh.
    • Left 4 Dead 2 - for fun co-op zombie shooting.

Games I've lost interest in:

• Borderlands 1 & 2 - really needs to be played co-op, but most people I played with lost interest in it after completion. It's got some annoying mechanics and anti-climactic story that get in the way of it being as enjoyable as it could be.
    • Dead Island - co-op was fun, but the game has a sucky story, the quests are repetitive, and it gets kinda boring after a while.

I'm also looking forward to playing Bioshock Infinite, though I'm planning to wait a bit for it to go down in price.

• I've just finished "The Cat Lady" not too long ago....It's heavy stuff, but it deals with depression and suicide in a mature and unique manner. It's very dark and disturbing though, even for my tastes.

• May I also wholeheartedly recommend "Jazzpunk" on Steam? I think I can. It's hilarious, and I recommend that everyone here try it.

• Well, to tell you all the truth, I’ve mostly grown up on Star Wars games for as long as I can remember. Since I was a little kid, six or seven, when my Mom or Dad went to Target, I would go to the video game section to play some of the games there (they were console games and the console were locked away behind a barrier of some type). Any way, I played games like Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (maybe), and Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter. However, I can remember playing Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike for the Gamecube and I desperately wanted it so badly! In 2003, I got the console and the game for that Christmas.

Of course, I’ve been to the old LucasArts site and checked out some of their latest games (Star Wars games usually) and I liked what I had seen in the trailers and what they showed for it. I was beyond thrilled for several of those games like X-wing Alliance, Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, Star Wars: Starfighter, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2002), Star Wars: Republic Commando, Star Wars: Battlefront and its sequel, the Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith video game, Star Wars: Empire at War and its sequel Forces of Corruption, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and its sequel, and more. Yep, I have most of the games I have mentioned and I love them to death.

There aren’t many other games that I love as much, but I do enjoy Halo every once in a while. So far, I have Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach. I personally would like to own Halo 2 and 3, maybe Halo 4, but that might be it.

So there you have it! If any more games come to mind, I’ll gladly mention them.

• Oh, why not. I'll bump this thread.

I actually haven't been playing many games recently. I think I've only played two games in the past two weeks:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City: Who doesn't love the 1980's Miami setting? I'm at around 50% completion at the moment.

Mother: The (Japan only) predecessor to the game EarthBound. Playable in English thanks to emulation and a translation patch. I'm only about a quarter of the way through this one.

• I've been playing a bit of The Vanishing of Ethan Carter...one of those games where you walk around, solve puzzles, and have a story told to you. Quite interesting and recommendable if you like those kinds of games. Make sure you fully explore the environment in order to get the whole story.

• Play MechWarrior Online and X-COM:Enemy Within (Long War Mod) mostly these days.

• edited January 2015

Hyrule Warriors, the Dynasty Warriors meets Zelda spinoff is currently my most played game of this year. It's a niche title, but I love the living hell out of it.

• edited January 2015

ThePuppetMaster said:

Hyrule Warriors, the Dynasty Warriors meets Zelda spinoff is currently my most played game of this year. It's a niche title, but I love the living hell out of it.

It's like a beat-em-up game, right? I've heard a lot about it, but I've never played any of the DW's before.

I bought that Captain Toad game on a whim a few weeks ago, and it's surprisingly pretty fun. It's also a good game to play when you want to unwind after a long day, before bed, etc.

• KoopaKalamity said:

ThePuppetMaster said:

It's like a beat-em-up game, right? I've heard a lot about it, but I've never played any of the DW's before.

I bought that Captain Toad game on a whim a few weeks ago, and it's surprisingly pretty fun. It's also a good game to play when you want to unwind after a long day, before bed, etc.

It's more of a hack and slash. You preform simple combos and eliminate hundreds of enemies at once. While each character uses a similar move set (Press Y a couple of times followed by X), each feels and preforms differently than the other. If you're a fan of the Zelda games (notably Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword), I'd say it's worth it just based off of all the fan service that's in the game. There are weapons and loot that change up the game as well. The point is basically to dominate the battlefield while not allowing the enemy to satisfy the defeat conditions, while you satisfy the victory conditions. DW games are way underratted, IMO. It's no less in depth than Super Smash Bros, or the left trigger right trigger shooters. I'd say rent it and see if you like it. There's a lot of content in the game, so a rental likely wouldn't suffice for a full analysis, but for getting a feel of it, it'll do the trick.

• "Until Dawn" is a horror movie fan's dream game. I dunno if I'd recommend it to anyone else here who doesn't like slasher flicks, but it's certainly got that campy charm. It's the 'Dragon's Lair' game that no one asked for, but is brilliant all the same. n.n

"Metal Gear Solid V: TPP" is not really a traditional Metal Gear game from what I've played and I keep telling myself that I wouldn't play it, but of course, temptation took over. It's...okay? The beginning was brilliant, but I'm not sure the open world structure helps this game in the long run. Kojima is best for his wacky fun and much less so when it comes to mature and taboo themes, but so far, nothing here is questionable, besides maybe Quiet's character.

• I really like the new Doom.

• @ThePuppetMaster said: I really like the new Doom.

On here, it could be a new kind of Doom starring Jenner who is back from the grave and wants to bring doom to the Thorn Valley colony, and it is up to Justin to prevent that from happening.

• I finished Metal Gear Solid 2 for like..the 3rd time.

I feel the game has aged really, really poorly in terms of gameplay. It's just a frustrating affair when it isn't boring.

That being said, you don't play the old Metal Gear games for gameplay, you play them for the 40 minute long cutscenes and exposition dumps inbetween the mediocre gameplay. In that case, MGS2 is more successful. When I say successful, note that I'm an insane person trying to understand an even more insane person like Hideo Kojima.

Trying to piece together the plot I think would be missing the point. Basically it's about an adopted son of an ex-President who was a child soldier trying to forget his past while being manipulated by an AI who is testing to see if it can manipulate people and events while simultaneously filtering out what it deems irrelevant information in the digital age to preserve what it thinks mankind's history should be. If the previous sentence doesn't make any sense and raises your eyebrows, then play the game and see if you could sum it up better.

So the story is complete lunacy and the gameplay sucks, so why do I still enjoy this game?

We all want to make a mark on the world somehow, for better or worse. With human population being about 7-8 billion combined with the fact that people (including myself, ironically) can very easily be a part of a big picture via the internet, we all can make a mark on the world with a press of a keystroke. We live in an age of information overload as a result. What I think Hideo meant when he made this insane game is that we shouldn't be too impressionable and always question what we see because the world we live in now is too easily overflowed with false and misleading information.

The red herring is an often criticized literary/storytelling device, but here Hideo uses it in a way that actually works. What we are told by characters isn't usually relevant because they're being manipulated by incorrect facts themselves. Basically the AI I talked about in that short sentence of me paraphrasing the plot wants to control the flow of information by only showing the public what it believes is relevant. The AI (called The Patriots), has the ability to control the public's media consumption (I won't go through how they are able to do it) and has the ability to manipulate people (which is how the story of MGS2 came to be, the AI is testing its ability to manipulate people and setting up historical events).

I understand a lot of what I'm saying makes little sense. The game itself makes little sense and you can probably poke holes in its plot (assuming you're able to make sense of it) until it's nothing but a giant hole, but it's the message this game has parted on to me is the reason I like it. Free will, information, our sense of self...these things all determine the state we leave the world in. Once we accept that this is a world of people constantly vying for control over others by any means possible, we learn that perhaps our most important tool with dealing with it is doubt. Perhaps by doubting this reality we set for ourselves, we can find our sense of self, our inner peace, and share our happiness and love with others. That way we can truly make our mark on the world. That way we can see the truth through all of the clutter.

That was a lot of philosophical gibberish over a 16 year old game on a forum for an animated film. Hopefully what I'm saying here makes sense. I'm not saying what I've said here is 'correct' or even morally right. It's just what I got out of the story. n.n

• ^^You can do yourself a favor and ignore my gibberish and watch this instead if you're interested in MGS2 and everything surrounding it: