Forgive, but don't forget.

I'd just like to post a quickie here: Forgive yourself and others when mistakes happen, but don't forget the mistake. We learn many things from mistakes, not just the psychological factors that caused us to do our bad deeds, but the sociological and cultural factors that played into our psyche. We're not gonna become better people, better societies, when we simply justify our behavior or make non apologies. That's the kind of mentality that 'forgive and forget' breeds. You may want to forget your inappropriate action, but it doesn't help in the long run. Society may tell us that mistakes are the worst things we can do...but mistakes are how we learn. So put your mind at ease when you mess up, but remember it.

We can do better if we don't say "I'm sorry if you were offended" or "I never claimed to be perfect." Prove to me that you've learned something and don't make non-apologies. "I'm sorry if you were offended" basically tells me you don't care about what you did, you were maybe just somewhat upset at the result it caused. I won't even believe that if you pass it off as 'locker room talk' or some crap like that.

Okay, maybe I should be a little less topical, but you get the picture. I've made the mistake of 'I'm sorry you were offended' and 'I never claimed to be perfect' before and I've definitely been on the extreme end of that spectrum where I feel extremely guilty and end up making more mistakes. So again, forgive yourself and others, but don't forget what you or someone else did wrong.

Comments

• Please keep politics out of this fandom. There are plenty of other outlets for that.

• @Azathoth43 said: Please keep politics out of this fandom. There are plenty of other outlets for that.

This post has nothing to do with politics (well, kinda). I just mentioned something topical as an example. Again, I understand if you're sick of it. Basically I just want people to think critically about their actions.

Considering there isn't much to talk about in this fandom that hasn't already been talked about, I just come here once in awhile to post something silly or serious. I understand wanting to avoid debate and unpleasantness that comes from debating politics/policy. But again, the main point of the post isn't really about that. People can defend other people's actions all they want. If someone does come in here and say that the person I referenced did right, fine, I'm not gonna waste time debating that. The point of my post is to think critically.