"Jonathan meant it for you."

Another stone discussion? Another stone discussion!

This line in question seems to confuse a lot of folks, so let's discuss it! There are two sources I remember vividly talking about this line (whether directly or indirectly) and those are sources are as follows:

The NIMH Notes By John Cawley

Which says: >The amulet was a device, or symbol, to represent the internal power of Mrs. Brisby. It also was a gift from her husband, a sign of his love.

So that settles it I guess? It came from the creators of the film themselves, there's no way they can contradict this...

Oh wait!

Don Bluth Interview By Adam McDaniel When asked about the stone and Jonathan's role in it in this interview, it was said that: >Nicodemus says it was Jonathan's, but really just to get her to accept it.

So we have conflicting info from 2 different sources about the same subject by the same people (the people being Don Bluth and his crew).

I just thought it interesting to bring this up for reasons. Is it a gift from her husband or was it just a device used to show Mrs. Brisby's internal strength and completely unrelated to everything? I'm confused!

Comments

• I just don't think we could ever get a satisfactory answer. Kinda like why didn't the eagles take Frodo straight to Mt. Doom to destroy the One Ring from the beginning in The Lord of the Rings?

And by internal strength do we mean super jedi powers? And why would Nicodemus lie the her just so she would take it? Could he see into the future and know she would need it? If so, why not prevent his own death? Prevent the death of Jonathan? What is the origin of the stone, where did it come from? Where did the rats get it? If you take the statement "The amulet was a device, or symbol, to represent the internal power of Mrs. Brisby" at face value it doesn't make sense seeing how she uses the stone in a very external display of power.

• @Azathoth43 said: I just don't think we could ever get a satisfactory answer. Kinda like why didn't the eagles take Frodo straight to Mt. Doom to destroy the One Ring from the beginning in The Lord of the Rings?

There actually is a kinda contrived answer to that, the Eagles can really only be summoned if a heroic deed has already been accomplished (I think, I need to brush up on my Tolken). There are other factors I don't remember from the books. Anyway, I know we won't ever get a satisfactory answer, but fandoms like to talk about these things anyway. The stone and magic is a part of the story, it has to mean something, even if it was a contrived thing made up by animators to show pretty animation.

"The amulet was a device, or symbol, to represent the internal power of Mrs. Brisby" at face value it doesn't make sense seeing how she uses the stone in a very external display of power.

It represents her internal power externally, if that makes sense. The stone can only be used if the owner has good internal power (courage), which is then manifested externally (by lifting her home). So her courage (internal) gave her the power to save her children (external).

• Perfect explanation of the stone right here: Kurt Cobain made the Stone in order to cure cancer, he put his own spiritual essence into it and the song is sung from the essence's point of view. Despite good intentions however, people started to complain about it and mocking the inscription on the back (hence when he says forever in debt to your priceless advice, he's referring to the fact that the stone says 'you can unlock any door if you only have the key').

I have proof, he flings the stone around in this video:

The rats could've easily found it somehow. Thoughts? :P