Thorn Valley Holidays?

A topic from the old forum, brought back anew! What holidays do you think the TV colony would celebrate and why? I think Gibbs did a good job in his story in describing holidays in his NIMHverse along with the occasional cookout. Yet there are fanfics out there that show other human holidays, such as Christmas, being a celebrated by these anthropomorphic characters. Would that make sense?

Now that we're on the subject, do the rats and mice have formal marriages? There have been a few fanfics that show the rats (and mice) having formal wedding ceremonies, while others just say "I do" and get on with it. I think Leemhuis' fanfics do both?

Now to something more morbid....Do the rats and mice have formal funerals? I mean, Nicodemus died in the film version, but they obviously didn't have time to mourn since they had to go to TV the next day. Would they have a formal holiday or funeral for him? How about Jenner and Sullivan? The lost mice?

Would they celebrate sporting events like we do? Would they have days off to unwind and do sporting events? Would they have weekends? Would they get tired of me saying 'would they?' Questions to be answered!

Comments

• In my stories I’ve had them designate certain days as holidays, which I’d rather not go far into here, away from the stories’ context. But I think they’d be largely restricted to ones of their own invention, which would celebrate their own milestones.

Of course, there’s no reason for them not to have a gift-giving holiday, whether or not they decide to call it Christmas. I can’t see them celebrating the birth of a human savior, though. Certainly they’d have their version of Thanksgiving, which I have had them initiate in my stories; and perhaps even something Halloween-like, involving costumes and role-playing. 8-X

• One day that I can definitely picture the rats celebrating is the day they escaped from the laboratories of NIMH. Ol' Nicodemus I'm sure wrote that date down in his journal so that it would forever be inscribed and thus remembered. I would imagine that they would call it "Liberation Day" or something of that sort and on that day (after a moment of silence for the nine mice who where presumably sucked down the ventilation shaft to their deaths), there would be a great deal of festivity and merriment. As far as Christmas is concerned, if they do choose to celebrate it at all, I would think that the celebration would take on a much simpler and perhaps a more spiritual tone than anything we humans have grown accustomed to over the years.

• @DavidLeemhuis said: and perhaps even something Halloween-like, involving costumes and role-playing. 8-X

That's quite interesting. Would they be costumes of other animals, maybe cryptid-folklore creatures from the forest, or maybe poor Timothy could dress up as Macho Man Randy Savage and be like "Ohhhhh yeah!" That would scare the living hell outta me I tells yas!

• Another logical choice for a holiday would be a remembrance day to honor their fallen, like the mice that didn’t make it out of NIMH, Nicodemus of course, and maybe Jenner and Sullivan (at least in my version). And Jonathan (but maybe not in my version).

And yes, it’s no coincidence that I thought of this on Memorial Day.

• I think once the colony has gone through a few generations, prom night would be a thing that they would do to introduce dating into the picture. I'm not one to believe fornication would be tooooo much of an issue for the RoN as long as each partner is willing to take care of the child. Of course, going deeper into this subject would go into more Gibbs' Second in Command-like drama, which I'm not willing to do. However, prom night as a social thing I could very well see them adopting.

• edited June 2016

@ThePuppetMaster said:

That's quite interesting. Would they be costumes of other animals, maybe cryptid-folklore creatures from the forest, or maybe poor Timothy could dress up as Macho Man Randy Savage and be like "Ohhhhh yeah!" That would scare the living hell outta me I tells yas!

I'm not sure how I would look with cryptic-faery wings from the forest on me, but you better put those thoughts about me being the Macho Man or Randy Savage out of your mind because I won't stand for dressing up as either of those. Besides, I'm still stuck in bed with pneumonia from a spider bite waiting for my mom to bring me my medicine, which she should be coming in with it shortly. My older brother Martin is here reading this with me along with my older sister Teresa next to him, and I can see my younger sister Cynthia is in the room as well popping her head up and above the side of the bed while looking and watching me curiously. My mom Elizabeth Brisby has yet to see this and what you are suggesting to dress me up as, but if I have to tell her and show you these thoughts of yours, she probably won't be happy and decide to have someone dress up as Jenner armed with an electrified spear like the one I was told by my mom that Brutus had to not only scare the living heck outta you, but give you a heart attack in the process as well.

• edited June 2016

^^ I didn't know Timothy has access to electronics in his cinderblock home or that he wants to kill me. Interesting!

Actually I wouldn't mind Jenner coming back at me with an electric spear. That would give me no shortage of pleasure. He can shock me up and give me some lovin'. When you're older I can tell you more about it. For the meantime, I would find a better way to assassinate me. #TeamJenner <3

• @ThePuppetMaster said: ^^ I didn't know Timothy has access to electronics in his cinderblock home or that he wants to kill me. Interesting!

The reason it sounded like I have access to electronics here is because its actually a human palm-sized mobile computer with screen and keyboard scaled to mouse-sized that my mom, Elizabeth Brisby, had gotten from someone near Mousetropolis Junkyard. She somehow managed to get it working again and is allowing me to fiddle with it while using the farmer's wifi to get on the internet. However, she still comes to take it away from me to have it charged back up somewhere when needed. I wouldn't be the one that will want to kill you, that would probably be my mom if and after she sees you talking about dressing me up like the Macho Man or Randy Savage.

@ThePuppetMaster said: Actually I wouldn't mind Jenner coming back at me with an electric spear. That would give me no shortage of pleasure. He can shock me up and give me some lovin'. When you're older I can tell you more about it. For the meantime, I would find a better way to assassinate me. #TeamJenner <3

I'm very certain my mom, Elizabeth Brisby, will find much better ways than I could even think of to have you assassinated over talking about dressing me up like Macho Man or Randy Savage that she probably won't like.