Please sign this petition.

We live in a sick world indeed. Animals are being tortured and killed for sexual pleasure. I can't stress enough how wrong this is and it's common too. Please read the description and sign the petition. It only takes a second of your time.

http://www.change.org/petitions/u-k-parliament-outlaw-animal-crush-video-by-enacting-legislation-with-severe-penalties

Comments

• I don't know about the UK, but it looks like there are already laws on the books in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush_film

• edited April 2013

Hm. While I am definitely against crush films and the like, as with many good-intentioned causes that try to get laws passed against undesirable speech, it's difficult to make such a law without being overly broad in what it covers; that's what invalidated a law like what is suggested in the U.S., as noted in the wikipedia article. Animal cruelty is already a crime, so perhaps more effort should be spent on finding and punishing those that commit those crimes in the creation of these films in the first place. I would support a law that imposes additional penalties if the animal abuser profits from films of their abuse, for instance.

Hopefully the UK is able to strike a correct balance such any law they might pass won't later be abused to suppress legitimate freedoms of speech. And if the UK doesn't already have animal cruelty laws, or they're too lenient, perhaps some toughening of those would be a better idea.

I think raising awareness of the problem is definitely a good thing though. Those are some sick people that get off on that kind of thing.

• Simon said:

Hm. While I am definitely against crush films and the like, as with many good-intentioned causes that try to get laws passed against undesirable speech, it's difficult to make such a law without being overly broad in what it covers; that's what invalidated a law like what is suggested in the U.S., as noted in the wikipedia article. Animal cruelty is already a crime, so perhaps more effort should be spent on finding and punishing those that commit those crimes in the creation of these films in the first place. I would support a law that imposes additional penalties if the animal abuser profits from films of their abuse, for instance.

Hopefully the UK is able to strike a correct balance such any law they might pass won't later be abused to suppress legitimate freedoms of speech. And if the UK doesn't already have animal cruelty laws, or they're too lenient, perhaps some toughening of those would be a better idea.

I think raising awareness of the problem is definitely a good thing though. Those are some sick people that get off on that kind of thing.

I'd rather something be done about it than nothing. The fact that these types of films are spreading around freely around the web with little to no penalties is just not acceptable in my book. Of course, whenever you have these kind of censorship-like laws you are always at risk for being too broad and potentially encroaching on others legitimate free speech.

However, something needs to be done. Signing the petition really is just raising awareness and showing that you care. We do need harsher laws of some kind, whether it be for the abuser profiting off the stuff, or the people getting off to it, or both. The internet seems to be their domain so to speak and I'd hate for the internet to be heavily censored. But like I said, this is mostly raising awareness and for people to show that they care.

Also, can I disable the auto draft saving stuff? It's really irritating for me.

• It's more about encouraging a logical, thoughtful response than an emotional one. Far too often, laws are drafted emotionally with the rationale that something must be done; this is something, therefore it must be done. This is how we end up with such gems as the PATRIOT act, for instance.

I'm not aware of any way to turn off the auto-save draft feature. I personally like the feature, so I wouldn't want to turn it off globally anyway.

• Simon said:

It's more about encouraging a logical, thoughtful response than an emotional one. Far too often, laws are drafted emotionally with the rationale that something must be done; this is something, therefore it must be done. This is how we end up with such gems as the PATRIOT act, for instance.

I'm not aware of any way to turn off the auto-save draft feature. I personally like the feature, so I wouldn't want to turn it off globally anyway.

Totally agree with the first paragraph. Something DOES need to be done though, and that is spreading awareness so that we may have a thoughtful discussion. That's basically why I want people to sign the petition, to show that they are aware of the issue. Solving the issue is another thing entirely and I agree that we shouldn't let our rights be violated to stop this.

As for the auto-save draft feature, I just don't like the pop-ups that come in the lower left of the screen. That irritates me. :/

• ThePuppetMaster said:

As for the auto-save draft feature, I just don't like the pop-ups that come in the lower left of the screen. That irritates me. :/

Hmm. I don't think there's a way to disable that either. All messages get pumped through that popup, not just the save draft one.

If you want to go for the nuclear option you could create a user stylesheet and put the following code inside it:

#informMessage { 
        display: none !important;
    }

but again, that'd hide all such messages, not just the save draft one. I might be able to tweak it so that the effect is subtler though.