Wanting to talk about story/rp ideas and ending up getting ignored instead

edited August 2015 in General Discussion

Hiya, I'm not sure who to talk to or contact for this matter as I feel a bit upset from what had happened to me earlier. I have come on into a chat area to find a few people involved with an RP and started watching it while keeping quiet. After a while, it has gotten me thinking about my own ideas as this seemed like a good place to present them. When the RP had ended at a certain point, I started to ask them if they wanted to hear my RP/story ideas and they said sure. But while I was typing them up to present, they all suddenly left the chat leaving me a bit upset. So then I went into a private chat with a few friends in which I get suggested to IM the one that I was going to present the RP/story ideas to, to begin with, which I do and I end up with one of my friends growling at me in response. Sometime afterward while getting no response, I ended up talking to someone else who invited me into a chat with a festival going on and found presenting anything there isn't going to work. Then someone else, possibly from there, had me go into Final Fantasy 7 RP which has just about nothing to do with RP/story ideas and immediately find that my ideas will not fly there which seems to leading into more shit. I then finally hear back from the first person I presented my ideas to and told me there are very weird, even though they are based around Timothy Brisby from the Secret of NIMH who ends up on a series of adventures and mysteries. Even though one other person who I talked to likes there, I seem to still be at square one with what seems to be issues going on with me being a bit upset. Since the ideas involve Timothy Brisby from the Secret of NIMH, I decided to bring this up here to see if there is anyone who could help me figure out what to do for this matter.

Comments

• So that I'm clear on things, this isn't something that happened on Thorn Valley or NIMHmuck, right? You're asking for general advice on getting people interested in your RP ideas? If you're having problems with Thorn Valley/NIMHmuck, I can definitely help there, but as for general advice... well, if I knew that, I wouldn't have the problem I have with NIMHmuck being so quiet, I'm afraid. n.n;

• @Simon said: So that I'm clear on things, this isn't something that happened on Thorn Valley or NIMHmuck, right? You're asking for general advice on getting people interested in your RP ideas? If you're having problems with Thorn Valley/NIMHmuck, I can definitely help there, but as for general advice... well, if I knew that, I wouldn't have the problem I have with NIMHmuck being so quiet, I'm afraid. n.n; No, it happened someplace else that is NIMH related, not the muck. And I was just asking for general advice on what to do with my ideas to get anyone interested in them. I don't know what to do about NIMHmuck as I have never gone on there to my knowledge.

• I have no real experience with RP and haven’t been a regular participant on very many online forums, but honestly it looks like a case of win a few, lose a few. Nobody likes being ignored or snubbed or disregarded, but not everyone is going to share your interests at the same time. Of course, there are also plenty of rude and insensitive folks on the ’net, and this looks like a group best avoided if possible. You did say there was one person interested in your ideas, so if you can bounce your ideas off just him/her, maybe that’s the best way to go, at least for now. And try not to let crap from people who don’t even know you get to you. >:P

Hope this helps.

• There's somewhat of a sad reality in this world...your ideas are not always gonna get accepted. Don't always expect praise from others, it's not their job to pat you on the back. NOW, there's a difference between being a genuine a-hole and someone rejecting your ideas. I dunno much of the situation to say either way, so I won't.

Nobody likes being ignored or snubbed or disregarded, but not everyone is going to share your interests at the same time.

^^Pretty much this. I don't mean to sound rude, but sometimes ideas and suggestions don't always gel.

• @DavidLeemhuis said: I have no real experience with RP and haven’t been a regular participant on very many online forums, but honestly it looks like a case of win a few, lose a few. Nobody likes being ignored or snubbed or disregarded, but not everyone is going to share your interests at the same time. Of course, there are also plenty of rude and insensitive folks on the ’net, and this looks like a group best avoided if possible. You did say there was one person interested in your ideas, so if you can bounce your ideas off just him/her, maybe that’s the best way to go, at least for now. And try not to let crap from people who don’t even know you get to you. >:P

Well, I have been talking to the one interested in my rp/story ideas who sounded like they wanted to help me, and just recently they finally have gotten a hold of someone with a board they thought I should use. It turns out the board in question is called Pandas & Dungeons and was a no go saying they couldn't find it. I'm not sure if I should try looking myself or maybe I should continue writing on the story since it basically has to do with Timothy Brisby ending up on an adventure that is partly due to his brother Martin Brisby fouling up while attempting to stop an unknown's intentions of reviving Jenner, and putting the Brisby Family in danger if they stay where they are.

• Your experience actually reminds me of when I contributed the original version of “Search for Johnathan” to Tim Fay’s The NIMH File way back in the 80s. After copies went out to all contributors, I was hoping to get feedback on my story from some of my fellow contributors, but I only heard from one, who I’d already been corresponding with regularly. It seemed at the time that I felt more than a little snubbed; many of them were already part of a community of anthropomorphic creators, and I regarded their non-reactions as not wanting to deal with an “outsider.” Of course, I’ve since realized that I could have actively reached out to some of them, but I guess I thought one or two of them should have been the ones to make the first move because they did already know each other and I was, after all, an outsider to their group.

It’s hardly a newsflash, but I guess I brought this up to illustrate that this sort of thing is hardly new or peculiar to the Internet.

• I suggest getting a beta reader. Beta readers love to read stories and help improve them. There doesn't seem to be many beta readers for secret of nimh on fanfiction.net though. https://www.fanfiction.net/betareaders/movie/Secret-of-NIMH/

• @Greta said: I suggest getting a beta reader. Beta readers love to read stories and help improve them. There doesn't seem to be many beta readers for secret of nimh on fanfiction.net though. https://www.fanfiction.net/betareaders/movie/Secret-of-NIMH/ In that case, don't know if we have beta readers on this forum to read stuff that I write up that is Secret of NIMH related.