Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What if there was no NIMH?

edited August 2015 in General Discussion

I know that a lot of you out there (myself included) are thankful beyond belief that SON came along when it did and that we are able to come together in this forum and discuss various aspects of not just the movie, but the artform that is animation as a whole. However, did you ever stop and think what would happen and where would you be right now if NIMH never existed? I for one am pretty sure that my current enthusiasm for animated films might never have been awakened like it has been when I saw this film for the first time. Indeed, I am pretty sure that this film has served to give me a more positive outlook on life. You'll remember in my introduction to SON that at the time that I first saw this movie, my spirit was not exactly what you would call upbeat. In fact I was feeling pretty low at the time and this movie proved to be a life saver. Please tell me your stories... I'm looking forward to hearing from you:-)

Comments

• Heh. I probably wouldn't have developed the interest I have in animation, and possibly wouldn't have found the furry fandom if NIMH didn't exist and I didn't make the fateful decision back in 1998 to put up an incomplete fanfic and a bunch of screengrabs on my personal site and called it Thorn Valley. I've met some pretty awesome people as a result of it.

• edited August 2015

The SoN didn't actually play more than the part of "a good book and a good movie" for a long time for me. I stumbled across the MUCK when I was in an extremely fragile state of mind and only remained active for a couple of weeks. Then a couple of years later, gave it another shot (not in such a bad place in life) and the community stuck. Taking out the SoN would actually probably not change my life more than changing the people I hang out with today. >.>

My second try at NIMHmuck, though, is what got me back into NIMH itself. I was just looking for a familiar themed Muck and liked the idea behind the SoN. ^^ Then I watched the movie again and was able to follow the smaller details of the plot. :)

Though admittedly I wouldn't like to give up the good times or the bad, when I was younger, I actually preferred the Land Before Time.. hides in case of backlash Dinosaurs! It had flippin' dinosaurs! And in my opinion, had a good storyline and (seeing as how it's Bluth) remarkable animation. <3

( edit so I can remind people that I'M one of the awesome people Simon's talking about!! 8D )

• I honestly don't know....actually give me a minute.

I didn't really know about the movie until I turned 18. I'm 23 now.

I'd probably have very little interest in online discussion as I was moving away from that during that time, but found the movie fascinating in ways I didn't expect an animated film from the west (or even east) to be. That led me to find the site, then Robin's, then people.

I then began to be more active in other sites and met more people.

I then grew more and more intrigued by rats and other rodents.

So, I guess like Mandy, my interests and people I talk to sometimes might be a bit different. Granted, I don't keep in touch with a lot of people these days, but yeah.

• Hey Puppetmaster, You sound a little like me as far as talking with more people is concerned. I admit that I can be somewhat shy at times especially in unfamiliar surroundings. However I think that this movie served to help me open up a little more (I'm not perfect yet and perhaps may never be), but I do find it a little easier. Like you, my interest in online discussions before I saw the movie was practically nill. After NIMH, I began to seek out like-minded people who shared an interest not only in the film, but in animation as a whole. The only thing that I think holds me back is my age. At 59yrs. I'm probably one of the oldest NIMHfans out there today and I think that sometimes younger people might have trouble relating their thoughts and opinions to an "Old Duff" like me.

• edited August 2015

Um, if there was no NIMH in the movie, there wouldn't be any intelligent rats as they would continue to live their lives as ordinary street rats while continuing to steal their daily bread and living off the efforts of man's work. Mrs. Brisby on the other paw likely wouldn't have even met Jonathan and never would have had given birth to her four children. Instead, she would have eaten a piece of D-Con from a trap somewhere due to Jonathan not stopping her and would be dead, meaning no Secret of NIMH at all, even if it were to turn into Secret of (Insert something else here) instead.

• @ErikMouse said: Um, if there was no NIMH in the movie, there wouldn't be any intelligent rats as they would continue to live their lives as ordinary street rats while continuing to steal their daily bread and living off the efforts of man's work. Mrs. Brisby on the other paw likely wouldn't have even met Jonathan and never would have had given birth to her four children. Instead, she would have eaten a piece of D-Con from a trap somewhere due to Jonathan not stopping her and would be dead, meaning no Secret of NIMH at all, even if it were to turn into Secret of (Insert something else here) instead.

What a beautiful picture!

I think the point of this thread was to talk about what YOUR life would be like without having the movie SoN or the book it's based on exist. However, it would be interesting to see characters lives from that angle. If NIMH didn't exist, what would happen to xyz character? It'd be pretty cool. n.n

• Hey Puppetmaster, You are absolutely correct in your assessment of my original purpose for this thread. However I have to admit that EricMouse & yourself do pose some interesting possibilities as far as what would some of the characters lives be like without NIMH.

• edited August 2015

Well to be honest, if hadn't found NIMH, I would have found other films. If Don Bluth still exists, there's still his other films All Dogs go to Heaven or American Tale.

Otherwise, even Disney had dark stuff, like parents dying. But NIMH was dark in a different way. I think the movies that have nice stuff mixed with dark stuff have the most emotional impact.

As for the rat's life without NIMH, they can still have plenty of adventures just trying to survive. Jenner and Justin already seemed unusually intelligent for their species.

Did Johnathan really save Ms. Frisby from eating food in a trap, or is that part of your own story?

Do you guys think Johnathan was from the city or country?

• Hmm, if TSoN had never come out…but if the book had? Well, it’s highly likely I never would have discovered the book. I got into TSoN fandom mainly to produce fanfiction, and I’ve said before that I’ve never quite been able to explain how TSoN, out of all works of fiction that have interested me, is the one that inspired me to the degree that it did, so it’s near-impossible to say. So, there’s no telling what, if anything, would have been my inspiration to produce fanfiction or any kind of fiction. The Dark Crystal, perhaps? Something would have struck the spark, I’m sure.

• @DavidLeemhuis said: Hmm, if TSoN had never come out…but if the book had? Well, it’s highly likely I never would have discovered the book. I got into TSoN fandom mainly to produce fanfiction, and I’ve said before that I’ve never quite been able to explain how TSoN, out of all works of fiction that have interested me, is the one that inspired me to the degree that it did, so it’s near-impossible to say. So, there’s no telling what, if anything, would have been my inspiration to produce fanfiction or any kind of fiction. The Dark Crystal, perhaps? Something would have struck the spark, I’m sure.

Or maybe worse, this causes someone here to come up with an idea for a crossover between the Dark Crystal and the Secret of NIMH, such as something that has to do with gelflings having to deal with anthropomorphized field mice. giggles

• ^ Hmm, in my fanfics the Stone has the capability of interdimensional travel as well as translating to avoid language barriers, so you may have something there. ;) Like the suggestion, made in the old forum, of crossing over with Redwall, though that might prove to be a little more manageable.

• @DavidLeemhuis said: ^ Hmm, in my fanfics the Stone has the capability of interdimensional travel as well as translating to avoid language barriers, so you may have something there. ;) Like the suggestion, made in the old forum, of crossing over with Redwall, though that might prove to be a little more manageable.

I think you could have a lot of weird fun with your stone interpretation. I made a joke back in the day that you should have your NIMH characters visit the NIMH 2 world, but the brings the idea of alternate timelines where such a thing could happen. Having the stone able to create riffs to potential infinite worlds and dimensions where events play out differently would be cool. Maybe have one where Johnathan didn't meet Madeline and having the couple visit the world where they never met. It's just something to think about.