The junk drawer of fan fiction ideas.

As I attempt to find reasons to finish my story, I find it interesting that there have been a few (well 2) topics discussing possible future fanfiction entries by aspiring writers looking for ideas and ways they can achieve writing a respectable piece of work. So I figured I'd share some ideas on how you can go about doing so.

Fun first

Let's be honest, you're not writing a grand piece of literature, you're writing fanfiction. It's for fun. If you're not having fun, chances are the audience won't have fun reading it. This seems simple enough, but it's something I want y'all to remember.

Imagination is unlimited, what can be achieved IS limited

You have many ideas for your fanfiction, right? That's normal for writers. As one grows more experience, one is able to take their limitless ideas and limit them. This is what you want to achieve. Take your ideas and make a venn diagram either in your mind or on paper and see how they can be fleshed out into something interesting. Play out what will happen in your mind and see if it goes places or not. For your first fanfiction, try not to add too many elements to the story. I made this mistake and was a little too ambitious in what I wanted to achieve. While this may be controversial, burdening yourself with too much will fall flat on your face, IMHO. So with that venn diagram, pick 1-2 ideas that would work and see if you can flesh them out.

Character and personality

I'll keep this short, but basically you want to inject personality in your writing style. Say, for instance, you want to write a story in third person perspective (which most do), the narrator is basically the main character here. Have the voice describe events and character personalities in a way that's pleasing (not boring) to hear. Have them go into the character's thoughts and flesh them out that way. I notice I use the word 'flesh' a lot and it's vague, but you'll likely know what I mean when you start writing. Basically make the characters three dimensional if you can.

Take breaks in between writing sessions

The more fatigued you are while writing, the worse your writing is going to be. Good stories take time to write, try not to cram in a writing session. Take a walk, do something else, but don't plan on writing a full story or draft on the first go.

Take criticism and take it well

Part of getting better as a writer is the ability to take criticism. You worked hard on your story and the last thing you want to hear about it is someone saying anything bad about it. Understandable. Not everyone has to like your ideas, however. Usually when someone says anything bad about your story it's because you were likely too ambitious and/or an area of your work was lackluster to the reader. Take pride in the fact that you were able to complete your story, you earned the sweat on your brow. Discuss with your critics and decide if you want to take their advice or decide to leave it as a personal preference thing. Try not to silence your critics or question their tastes or ability to read. Try not to get too irritable if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Fun ALWAYS

Very important! I can't stress this enough. If you're having fun, then everything will work out fine. If you view it as a chore you need to motivate yourself to do, you're not doing it right.