The Music Topic!

I'm always looking for more music to listen to, so anyone wanna share their own faves or share what they're currently listening to (no need for a video or anything, just the name of the song and the artist)? It can be anything, I'm just curious. n.n

Comments

• ^^My uncle apparently owns the vinyl to both Rainbow and Holy Diver. I kinda wanna see if I can get a hold of one.

• When I sing along to Dio I have to use the voice....It can't just be me. XD

Anyway, I've been listening to lots of stuff I'd usually classify as "Icky because the artist is icky/annoying/STUUUUUUPID" ....Like Kesha....I hate her with a fiery passion and her lyrics suck so bad, but the music itself...If Kesha weren't the singer and the lyrics didn't make me want to roll my eyes 20 times per song.. XD Most of it's on Pandora, so I get Nikki Manaj (If I spelled it right...couldn't be bothered to look her up..) and that song where she says "You're fancier than a guy with that thing on his eye" and all I can think is how dumb you have to be to put that in a song.. :I Could she not figure out what a monocle is? She could have her agent google it. But no...She'd rather advertise her stupid.. :I

I'm really liking the bass and drum beats lately though, when I usually focus more on the entire song. My usual bands go from Blues Travelers, Matchbox 20, and Cake to Rammstein, MSI, and In this Moment. It heavily depends on my mood. ^^

As a Bonus, lemme turn on my iToonz and see what playlist it pops to first. :) ....Voltaire! Omg I think I'm going to switch what I'm listening to! :B

• It looks like you might like Sabaton. It's a power metal(according to Wikipedia, I don't know my metal sub-genres that well) band that bases a lot of their songs off historical events(mostly war). Carolus Rex, Ghost Division, and all the whole Metalizer album are some of their best works.

You also might try Within Temptation, they're symphonic rock/metal(again Wikipedia) that's pretty good, as long as you stay away from their newest album, Hydra. A lot of its songs are a bit lovey-dovey, just so you're aware of that.

Other miscellaneous songs that I have are March of the Lava(Volcano), When You're Evil, Bad Apple, SSJ Transformation (Dragon Ball Z), Super Vegeta(DBZ), Gohan Fights Freiza(DBZ), The Kraken(Pirates of the Caribbean 2) and Night of Nights. The ones with parentheses are soundtracks and where it came from is inside them.

Hope you enjoy!

• @Mandy said: When I sing along to Dio I have to use the voice....It can't just be me. XD

WE'RE OFF TO THE WITCH! WE MAY NEVER NEVER NEVER COME HOME!

I'm really liking the bass and drum beats lately though, when I usually focus more on the entire song. My usual bands go from Blues Travelers, Matchbox 20, and Cake to Rammstein, MSI, and In this Moment. It heavily depends on my mood. ^^

Huh, never heard of Cake to Rammstein. I have certainly heard of Rammstein tho, if that's what you're referring to.

• Cake is another band. XD I was separating the 2 groups of bands with a "to" because they're very different types of music. :3 I do love me some Rammstein, but I have to be in a certain mood that makes me not care if I can sing along whether in my head or out loud. XD I don't speak German so it's really about the sounds for that band.

• I believe I have found you some music I'm sure the lot of you would like.

• So I've been naughty and looking up metal covers for things not traditionally metal. I think I found a few you guys might like.

^^Sound of Music song as metal. It's alright, but I prefer the regular version myself. :P

^^Again, much prefer the regular non metal version of this Church hymn, but still alright.

^^This is one that I genuinely like better than Jerry Goldsmith's version. Figured I'd put it with Ave Maria for some reason. n.n

^^Twisted Sister does the best when it comes to heavy metal Christmas. Entertaining.

^^ A mixed bag of Disney songs. Alrightish. I think the main draw of these covers is adding your own unique flair to the songs. This one is basically just a harder version of the songs with no vocals, which is fine, but not prone to leaving a lasting impression.

^^Much better. I'll just pretend to hear this version when my niece comes over and makes me watch the bloody movie with her. n.n

• Oh, holy mackerel, where to start. @-) When you’re talking 50+ years of listening to and appreciating music, I can only scratch the surface here, otherwise this would set a new record for Longest Thorn Valley Post.

I grew up listening to Top 40 radio in the late sixties, and still appreciate a lot of the music of that era, and have since gone deeper into the catalogues of a lot of these artists: the Mamas & the Papas, Beach Boys, Kinks, Bob Dylan, Byrds, Hollies, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Doors, etc. etc. And the Beatles of course.

I’d since delved further into artists of that era (many of whom became favorites of that era) that had little or no presence on top 40 radio but which I picked up on later: King Crimson, The Nice, Tim Buckley, Spirit, Nick Drake, Fairport Convention, Family.

In the 70s I glommed onto prog-rock like nobody’s business. A genre that has unfortunately gone unrecognized by much of the public but has picked up many fanatics and devotees and includes many of the aforementioned artists, as well as Yes, Genesis, Renaissance, ELP, Rush, Gentle Giant, PFM, Camel, Caravan, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, so many others that still give me chills…I’ve already brought it to ThePuppetMaster’s attention, so anyone else who wants to explore it, I won’t stop you. ProgArchives.com is my favorite internet hangout for it.

I was sure by the time I left high school that I wasn’t going to be one of THOSE guys: the ones that get to a certain point in time and dismiss any new music, with the possible exception of new music by the artists he grew up with. I don’t believe I made an actual vow to that effect a la Bruce Wayne, but if I did, I have never deviated from it. Accordingly, in the eighties I embraced many of the artists of that era considered “alternative”: Ultravox, Tears for Fears, Midnight Oil, Waterboys, Cocteau Twins, Thomas Dolby, Pretenders, Squeeze, XTC, 10,000 Maniacs, Big Country, Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, The Police, R.E.M., manymanymore. Even those 4 Irish boys with the 2-digit name.

I continue to keep my ears open for sounds that interest me, and so some contemporary artists of which I can consider myself a fan include Death Cab for Cutie, Vampire Weekend, Grizzly Bear, The National, Coldplay, My Morning Jacket, Decemberists.

As I said, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. ^ Aside to Mandy: Plenty of alternatives to Nicki Manaj and Ke-Dollar Sign-Ha. :P

• edited June 2015

@DavidLeemhuis said: In the 70s I glommed onto prog-rock like nobody’s business. A genre that has unfortunately gone unrecognized by much of the public but has picked up many fanatics and devotees and includes many of the aforementioned artists, as well as Yes, Genesis, Renaissance, ELP, Rush, Gentle Giant, PFM, Camel, Caravan, Jethro Tull, Mike Oldfield, so many others that still give me chills…I’ve already brought it to ThePuppetMaster’s attention, so anyone else who wants to explore it, I won’t stop you. ProgArchives.com is my favorite internet hangout for it.

You were alive in the 1970s and you didn't mention The Grateful Dead? Bad Grandpa Leemy! :P Honestly, if I were around back then, I'd def. check out a Grateful Dead concert.

As I said, I could go on and on, but you get the idea. ^ Aside to Mandy: Plenty of alternatives to Nicki Manaj and Ke-Dollar Sign-Ha.

If you want me to try and scrape the bottom of the barrel, I can. I'll make Ke$ha's music sound like the angels from heaven singing a heavenly tune. (Language warning on all of these vids, btw).

...And I can even find worse than these. It just goes to show that there's always someone who's even worse than your least favorite artist. :P

I was sure by the time I left high school that I wasn’t going to be one of THOSE guys: the ones that get to a certain point in time and dismiss any new music, with the possible exception of new music by the artists he grew up with.

I was kinda the opposite, I dismissed modern music going into high school, but then embraced newer bands once I left, even some by artists whose genres I didn't like beforehand.

Edit: grammar

• ^ Re your last comment: that's always a good thing to keep one’s mind open to different things, in music and in plenty of other things in life, even ones you may have passed on or dismissed before. I’ve never been able to relate to people who let their tastes and attitudes become set in concrete. [-( That’s a common old-folks stereotype, but in many people the concrete starts hardening in a much younger age range.

Re the Grateful Dead: I told you I was only scratching the surface. Actually while I’ve never been a big fan, not a Deadhead by any stretch, I’ve always admired what they were able to accomplish and have a handful of their albums, both by the band and solo and splinter projects.

• Re the Grateful Dead: I told you I was only scratching the surface. Actually while I’ve never been a big fan, not a Deadhead by any stretch, I’ve always admired what they were able to accomplish and have a handful of their albums, both by the band and solo and splinter projects.

Tis a little joke I made. Greatful Dead is pretty amazing, tho.

Re your last comment: that's always a good thing to keep one’s mind open to different things, in music and in plenty of other things in life, even ones you may have passed on or dismissed before. I’ve never been able to relate to people who let their tastes and attitudes become set in concrete. That’s a common old-folks stereotype, but in many people the concrete starts hardening in a much younger age range.

I think that's a fair assessment for the most part. Some people aren't going to like things no matter what, tho. I think that's okay. One day a person might be open to the idea of liking something, but I don't believe forcing people to like things is the right way to go, imo. Not necessarily saying that's the point you were trying to make, but I kinda wanted to point it out.

• edited October 2015

I've always thought this classical piece sounded like it could of bin a lost track from The Secret of NIMH.. It has the same magical and mysterious qualities that Jerry Goldsmith incorporated in to the NIMH Soundtrack.

• LANGUAGE WARNING:

Gotta love it.

• ^^More language warning, but here's to those who say hip-hop is all junk that is corporate controlled. A song about living in the "hustle-struggle" and it's not as pleasant as people make it out to be.

• ^^My favorite Biggie joint. His rhymes are always tight and it's one of the few songs where Diddy's background chatter adds to it all. Brilliant.

Language warning as usual.

Also I'm probably gonna be deleting this account. I don't see the need to check in every month when nothing is going on. It's just one less thing I have to keep track of. I leave now inspiring you all to look up some good hip-hop from different artists. It doesn't have to be as explicit like Biggie, it can be anything. It's a genre that gets overlooked due to race differences.

• Okay, not quitttttttte my final post. Couldn't figure out how to delete this account anyway. :P

On your travels to hip-hop land you may hear the 'n word', this makes the song hard to sing along to for some people. For the record, I think it's okay for PoC to use the word, but not okay for white people to use it. So what do you do? Replace it with 'brotha' or 'brother'.

I know we had a debate about this on the old forum when I was an idiot, but I'm firmly against white people using the word for reasons I would hope are obvious. I grew up around the word and my fragile young soul thought that people chose to be offended and that I could say and do anything I want if it was a joke or something. I grew up. People don't choose to be offended and words have consequences.

So yeah, go out there and find some hip-hop, just make sure not to use any racial epithets if you choose to sing it.