Cannot Edit Threads or Comments

So, just out of curiosity, why can’t I doing any editing on any of my threads? I used to be able to do so some months ago, probably before the forum was updated, but now I can’t. What is the reason behind this?

Tagged:

Comments

• Simon decided to update the forum software and it caused some things to happen. Now you only have an hour to edit posts I guess. The best bet now is to build a time machine out of a DeLorean and go back to when you had an hour to edit posts. Where one will get the plutonium to power the 1.21 gigawatts of power I haven't a clue.

While you're in the machine traveling through time, bring me home a pet raptor. Actually, bring me a male and a female and some eggs. Don't worry about the mother guarding the next, just say clever girl and throw her a dog biscuit.

• Now that just bites. I don’t feel that it’s really fair. What if you discovered something that you didn’t know the next day or a month later, or a whole year, but you couldn’t update your comment to do it? What then?

I feel that this is one change I would rather not have. I’d prefer the older style forum were you could edit comments at any given time with no restrictions.

• @ARAJediMaster said: Now that just bites. I don’t feel that it’s really fair. What if you discovered something that you didn’t know the next day or a month later, or a whole year, but you couldn’t update your comment to do it? What then?

I feel that this is one change I would rather not have. I’d prefer the older style forum were you could edit comments at any given time with no restrictions.

As far as I could tell, this was an accident that happened (he updated the forum software and it bugged out) and I dunno if Simon can fix it or not. And it's not a huge deal. I bugged him about the quote feature so that you can quote your old post and post fixes if you want.

• @ThePuppetMaster said:

Don't worry about the mother guarding the next, just say clever girl and throw her a dog biscuit.

*Nest instead of next...again, not a big deal to point out mistakes via quote.

• @ThePuppetMaster said: *Nest instead of next...again, not a big deal to point out mistakes via quote.

I don’t see a point in doing that. That is why I had brought it up before; so that neither you, nor anybody else could mention a mistake you would right in your comment.

How should I report the edit problem to Simon?

• I'm sure he'll see this thread as soon as he logs in..If you think it'll help, though, you can post it as a problem in the announcement that asks if you're having issues with the forums. :)

• @Mandy said: I'm sure he'll see this thread as soon as he logs in..If you think it'll help, though, you can post it as a problem in the announcement that asks if you're having issues with the forums. :)

Thank you, Mandy. I greatly appreciate that.

• No, I will not be removing the edit window. If you feel you need to make a correction after 1 hour, either add a follow-up comment, or ask me to do the edit and add the correction (which I may or may not do, depending on the situation).

As for rationale, the reason for disabling edits is to prevent a discussion from becoming difficult to follow, should someone decide to change what they wrote after someone else replies to it. The 1 hour edit window should provide enough time to correct typos and things of that nature. If you don't want your name attached to something you wrote, then I suggest that it is important to think about that before you commit it to a post.

• Can’t there be a feature to delete comments by yourself if you feel that they are no good anymore?

• edited June 2015

@ARAJediMaster said: Can’t there be a feature to delete comments by yourself if you feel that they are no good anymore?

Only Hillary Clinton can delete things so that others can't see them. (I made a funny vaguely topical joke, laugh!) ;P

I've said some really stupid things in the past man, and I've grown to regret a lot of what I've done. So it's not like I haven't been there before. BUT! It's important to take responsibility and part of that is accepting that what you said in the past can't be undone. You can't simply just delete things you don't want people to hear. That mentality won't get you very far.

Everyone wants to go through a time machine and kick themselves in inappropriate places for the things they've done in the past. You can't, tho. Unless you're really desperate for a time machine, in that case, bring me back a raptor or 5. But seriously, take responsibility and note not to make the same mistakes again. And if you do make the same mistakes again, note that we're humans, we learn by repetition.

As Simon said, think before you post. You'll be happier in life if you made mistakes and learn instead of making excuses for them and wanting the past to go away.

EDIT: Some grammar/content missing.

• edited June 2015

@ARAJediMaster said: Can’t there be a feature to delete comments by yourself if you feel that they are no good anymore?

Again, you can ask me (or a mod, should I ever get any) to delete something, if needed. Deletions have the same issue in terms of disrupting the continuity of the conversation, so in either case, be prepared to have a good justification for wanting me to edit or delete something. "Because I want you to" is not a good enough reason.

If you don't like it, you are more than welcome to start your own forum where you can edit and delete to your heart's content.