just question

Why you think that remake Secret of NIMH will be bummer? with feature films it's iron rule, but the film-aimed mainly at children, I notice the opposite effect, on the other hand, a lot of remake-aimed at children is not made yet

Comments

• I don't know, I think it's worth looking into even if people think it'll be a failure. I hope it'll be a good remake, even though I don't think much can add up to the awesome that is Don Bluth's version. :3 I'll probably view it as a stand-alone movie since my bias is in it's favor. :D

I haven't read much on this subject since I don't want to ruin my hopes for the film and will probably actively avoid any kind of previews or spoilers.

• Well, we've been burned by NIMH 2 previously, and the description of the treatment for the upcoming film is along the lines of a "comedic CGI/live-action remake" which doesn't inspire much confidence. It's just much easier to keep expectations low and be surprised if it doesn't end up sucking than be disappointed when it doesn't live up to higher expectations.

Especially since they're saying it's a "remake". The Secret of NIMH is not a film that needs to be remade in the first place. It's not perfect, but it is a beautiful film that stands on its own just fine.

• edited May 2015

People like what's familiar better than they should. When people see something that doesn't look good on paper or doesn't look like it would make a profit, it gets trashed. A lot of mainstream films are like this. To cover their butts they take an already established franchise with an already established formula and plot, in this case CGI family comedies, to please investors. We see everything from new Star Wars films to freaking Twin Peaks getting redone, which are things that people claim they want; but in reality, it turns out to be disappointing simply due to the aforementioned hype that Simon mentioned. People hype these things up to oblivion so much so that what they get isn't as exciting as how they imagined it, so they dislike it. It will turn a profit tho!

People are getting smarter to the hype machine and it won't last forever. Consider this limited reaction to the NIMH reboot proof that caution sometimes is the best route to take. I just hope one day we can live in a world where creativity and surprises not based off existing property can thrive.

• @Simon said: Well, we've been burned by NIMH 2 previously, and the description of the treatment for the upcoming film is along the lines of a "comedic CGI/live-action remake" which doesn't inspire much confidence. It's just much easier to keep expectations low and be surprised if it doesn't end up sucking than be disappointed when it doesn't live up to higher expectations.

And I don't even want to think about what they could do to the Brisby Family or Brisby's good name for that matter since I don't like what the did to them when Secret of NIMH 2 came out, especially what happened to poor Martin Brisby in it. I like them just the way they are in the original Secret of NIMH movie and hope I don't get told that I have a narrow vision, because that wouldn't be accurate in this case.

@Simon said: Especially since they're saying it's a "remake". The Secret of NIMH is not a film that needs to be remade in the first place. It's not perfect, but it is a beautiful film that stands on its own just fine.

Yeah, the Secret of NIMH is good just the way it is and doesn't need any changes done to it, especially those from the comedian department.

@Jenner said: The plan to remake Secret of NIMH is the apparition of idiots and dreamers! We already have had a really good Secret of NIMH film done by Don Bluth and the plan to remake it is nothing but folly, a doddering old fool's fantasy! Daniel Bobker and Ehren Kruger would have you destroy this Thorn Valley colony only to lead the Rats of NIMH to become a pathetic comical crew of lab rats in some wilderness!

I think I can agree with what Jenner had to say about this 'remake' for once...

• As you good people must already know by now, I too am a huge fan of the original work by Don Bluth and because of this, I would hate to see it destroyed by association to an inferior piece that was slapped together with no thought given to plot developement, etc. As Simon stated "The fact that the treatment for the upcoming film is along the lines of a comedic CGI does not bode well as far as confidence is concerned." Don't get me wrong, I would love for this film to suceed beyond anyone's wildest expectations which is something the original could not quite manage at the time of its theatrical run. But it remains to be seen as to whether or not this upcoming film will indeed prove worthy of mention alongside of the original instead of turning out to be a colossal piece of crap like SON2.

• first of im fan of Don Bluth version.... but i must admit im curious on remake... but i must also admit, can be bummer.... but i must say SON 2 was total faul from every point of wiev.... nad isnt percieved as part of canon and never be.... i do not saw it but i saw screens and plot and reactions and that was enought.... about that Bluth's SON do not be needed be remaked i agree, but same fact applied for Clash of titans.... Holywood not care... on other side... some new film can resurect community and here can be again live... + possible sequels can enhance universe and dont forget on Star trek... this is case of remake what turned out well

yes im afraid but i have also hope

p.s sry for my poor english

• @NIMHmaniac said: As you good people must already know by now, I too am a huge fan of the original work by Don Bluth and because of this, I would hate to see it destroyed by association to an inferior piece that was slapped together with no thought given to plot developement, etc. As Simon stated "The fact that the treatment for the upcoming film is along the lines of a comedic CGI does not bode well as far as confidence is concerned." Don't get me wrong, I would love for this film to suceed beyond anyone's wildest expectations which is something the original could not quite manage at the time of its theatrical run. But it remains to be seen as to whether or not this upcoming film will indeed prove worthy of mention alongside of the original instead of turning out to be a colossal piece of crap like SON2.

I should jump in and say that no matter how bad this remake is, the original film will always still be great, and it shouldn't tarnish the original's reputation. Not saying you necessarily said that, but it's worth mentioning for those who wish to, say, write to MGM to protest the film.

• @ThePuppetMaster said: I should jump in and say that no matter how bad this remake is, the original film will always still be great, and it shouldn't tarnish the original's reputation. Not saying you necessarily said that, but it's worth mentioning for those who wish to, say, write to MGM to protest the film.

If you decide you want to protest this so-called NIMH remake, you can go to www.insidehollywood.info/index.php?pg=address-mgm-studios to get the address for MGM if the one listed there is correct. There is also a phone number listed there if you rather call MGM instead to protest, just remember to put a '1' in front of it if you are calling from outside the United States.

• @ErikMouse said: If you decide you want to protest this so-called NIMH remake, you can go to www.insidehollywood.info/index.php?pg=address-mgm-studios to get the address for MGM if the one listed there is correct. There is also a phone number listed there if you rather call MGM instead to protest, just remember to put a '1' in front of it if you are calling from outside the United States.

No, I was suggesting that we SHOULDN'T protest the film. Let the film speak for itself.