Videogames and The Rats of NIMH

I don't know if any of you play World of Warcraft, but they do a lot of pop culture references. Even though I knew this, for some reason I found it shocking and hilarious that I found Nicodemus, Brisby, and Jenner as a pet battle team in my garrison. <3 It wouldn't have been funny on it's own, but Nicodemus and Brisby were both 'rare' quality rodents while Jenner was a 'poor' quality.. (sadly he got rekd)

It got me wondering if any of you have come across a reference to NIMH in your gaming experiences (if you do game) or if you've found it as a reference in other movies or somesuch. :)

If you haven't found any references in your games/movies/anything else, then tell me which game you'd like to see one in and how they should implement it, because this sounded like fun too..>.>

Comments

• edited May 2015

There is a reference to The Secret of NIMH in the game Dust: An Elysian Tail, where at one point of the game, you meet up with a blacksmith named Haley. She stresses that business has been better but the forge she has set up on the hill is unmovable. Your companion, Fidget, suggests to use "an army of intelligent, mutant rats with magic."

I've pinpointed the part in my Let's Play of the game: https://youtu.be/ESadD2VEemo?t=6m51s

Also, the character for Elder Gray Eyes, shares some similar characteristics to Nicodemus from NIMH. It has been reported that the voice actor, Mick Lauer, was nicknamed 'Mickodemus' when providing his voice for the character.

• Hah! I must've missed (or forgotten) that bit of dialogue when I played through Dust. Cool find!

• Well, I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I have seen the Secret of NIMH mentioned in the references of the "Big Ears, Small Mouse" role playing book I have.

• The creator of Dust was very much influenced by SoN. There's an interview on GB that I'm too lazy to find that goes into detail about the creation of the project.

• edited October 2015

This may be a stretch but one reference(albeit probably unintentional) can be found in the Elder Scrolls games, specifically in the fifth game - Skyrim. Occasionally you can find a gold necklace with a ruby set within and yes, it looks just like Mrs. Brisby's stone.

• edited November 2015

@TheReluctantWarrior said This may be a stretch but one reference(albeit probably unintentional) can be found in the Elder Scrolls games, specifically in the fifth game - Skyrim. Occasionally you can find a gold necklace with a ruby set within and yes, it looks just like Mrs. Brisby's stone.

This has me imagining for some reason that if this were to end up being involved in or evolved into a NIMH-related story or Forum RPG, someone could get the idea of going to the rats in the rosebush to see Nicodemus (before being killed by Jenner) and find out if he knows anything about the Elder Scrolls, such as if they have anything to do with the origin of the stone (or the Courage of the Heart). I just wonder if you could see this coming up as a plot line in something NIMH-related even though the one(s) involved with going to see Nicodemus would have to find a way to get past Brutus at the entrance to the rosebush without getting made into shish kabob by his electrified spear. giggle

• Ghost of a Tale is out on Steam, for those who don't know. I never played it, but I hear it's good.