The sequel....SoN2...Is it canon?

edited March 2015 in Main

Before you hastily say 'no' and call me an idiot for bringing this up, let's talk this through.

Most people wouldn't consider it canon simply because they hate it, and that's understandable.

But let me talk about what NIMH 2 did right, and yes, it did do some things right (I'm serious):

~It focused more on the NIMH scientists.

Let's face it, the first movie portrayed NIMH as a cartoonishly dark and evil animal torture chamber. There were monkeys and dogs that were crying for some reason and even Nicodemus himself described it as being "put through the most unspeakable tortures!" The fact that NIMH is pretty much this evil castle in the sequel is not too far-fetched, IMHO. It might as well be for all we know.

But back on point, the scientists themselves are nameless in the first movie, which the sequel does in fact address. You could say they did it poorly, but refer back to the previous paragraph, the movie painted itself in a corner by making NIMH this cartoony torture chamber for animals. It's only natural for NIMH to be the antagonist here, unless we were doing a conflict between the Thorn Valley colony itself, but I feel (and this could be debated) that NIMH had to be involved somehow. Why? Because the film is called 'Secret of NIMH' NIMH didn't magically go away after the first movie, they're still a part of the universe.

~The lost mice.

I really like this idea of the mice from the ventilation shafts starting their own secret colony. Again, you could hate this aspect of the film and how it was done, but there's some creative effort here. It gives us motivation for our characters to go in to the NIMH labs themselves and save them. It gives us a setting change and a new perspective.

~Sibling rivalry.

I also like the idea of one of the Brisby children siding with NIMH. Why? Because, IMHO, it allows for growth of the children from young scoundrels the first movie made them out to be into something greater. It could also create tension not only between Timothy and Martin, but Teresa and Cynthia (granted the sequel didn't bother with that, but we're thinking positive). It's only natural for the children to go their separate ways as adults, and keeping them in the story like this isn't really all that unreasonable.

~Eric Idle

.......Uh........not really...but it was funny!

Alright, alright, so my point is that while its status as canon is questionable, it did have some solid ideas that could make a case for it being canon. But yeah, probably not.

Comments

• I admit that I am one of those that panned the sequel. If I remember correctly, the words I used to describe this movie were "Not worth the paper one uses to wipe their backside with." In hindsight though I do agree with one aspect of your discussion. That would be the portrayal of NIMH as a dark and gloomy castle. As you yourself stateed, the first movie did not adequately describe NIMH in terms of it's physicaal makeup. Based on this information (or lack of), there really was no other route that the producers and animators of the sequel could have taken.

• NIMHmaniac said:

I admit that I am one of those that panned the sequel. If I remember correctly, the words I used to describe this movie were "Not worth the paper one uses to wipe their backside with." In hindsight though I do agree with one aspect of your discussion. That would be the portrayal of NIMH as a dark and gloomy castle. As you yourself stateed, the first movie did not adequately describe NIMH in terms of it's physicaal makeup. Based on this information (or lack of), there really was no other route that the producers and animators of the sequel could have taken.

Part of what I'm trying to convey here is that a sequel to SoN would be pretttttttty hard to pull off, if at all. It's not really a movie made for sequels. So given that fact, what can you do? My other point is that the movie isn't creatively bankrupt as some might think. It had 3 good ideas at its core. The main point of contention here is that it's a bad movie with an inane plot and boring characters. If it built upon these 3 core ideas in a way that's not Saturday morning TV fare, then people might very well consider this a worthy successor.

• Well from the rat's point of view, NIMH is a dark scary castle. But they're probably smart enough to know it's more than that. I'm tired of sibling rivalry plays because Disney did it so many times, like with Mufasa and Scar. It would be different to see some siblings get along for once. There's still room for a sequel of the rat's plan to move, and all their attempts to keep hidden from humans, and what happens to the Brisby children growing up. Even the art style of the sequel is different. The colors are brighter and less dark.